Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

sticky - Some POSTING QUESTIONS answered

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
John-B
Site Admin

sticky - Some POSTING QUESTIONS answered

Post by John-B »

I've taken the liberty of summarising some of the Posting questions and answers so far:

Icons and their descriptions: https://www.moosburg.org/design/forum/p ... ndeng.html
Note that the red circles show that you have unread topics or posts. If you have read some posts in a topic but not all of them, clicking the red icon will take you to the first unread post. A star in a circle means that you have already posted in that topic.
The small square next to a username in the right column on a topic list will take you to the last post when clicked.

YouTube BBCode A BBCode for YouTube and other videos has been installed. Use the small arrow at the right end of the BB codes above the text input window which opens a popup window. On YouTube page use Copy video URL and then insert URL in the format https://youtu.be/ ... where indicated in the popup window. Example here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=848

PASSWORDS Quite a few members have either forgotten their password or want to change it.

Forgotten password Use the Login button then click “I forgot my password” and on the next page use your email address you used to register originally and submit and you will be sent a temporary password. Important: Use the special link in the password email which says "To use the new password you need to activate it. To do this click the link provided below." It's no good using the new password via to Login button at first, but you do after activating it. You can change the temporary password later in User Control Panel.

Change password To change a password or temporary password, log in using your username and the password or temporary password and click on your username top right and then click on User Control Panel, then Profile, Edit account settings, then insert the new password twice and the temporary or current one below them and your temporary or current password should be changed.

COPYRIGHT If you copy an image or photo from another place, remember that the copyright probably remains with the original owner, (except for sites like Wikimedia Commons). I notice that members are copying photos from eBay and I've looked at eBay's policies regarding copyright. One policy says "As part of our mission, we are committed to help protecting the intellectual property rights of rights owners and to providing our users with a safe and enjoyable place to trade."

There is also another policy which says "If you copy someone else's text or original photograph or other content, or copy text or photographs or other content from any other place - depending upon how much is copied - you may be infringing someone's copyright."

Although eBay's policies were written with the advertiser in mind, both the above policies apply equally here in that an eBay seller or any other copyright owner may object to his photo being used here. If we receive a request to remove a photo, we will have to do that and hope that there is no further complaint. Please check the copyright situation before posting an image, text or photo on this forum.

FAQ If you can't find a way to do what you want, first port of call should be the FAQ on the left of the top left menu.

Q. Are the current names and passwords from dlcentre.com being recognized here?
A. It is a totally new site and you sign in as a new member with username, password and also Real Name and Reason for Membership. You can use the same username and password, but have to Register as a new member, not just Login as a member already.

Your first post(s) may be subject to approval by a moderator (a precaution against spamming) so you will have to wait to see it/them in the forum. However, if a moderator notices your new registration before you have made a post, the requirement for first post approval may be removed if you are deemed trustworthy.

Personal Information Click on your name in the top right corner, then User Control Panel (not Profile), then Profile inside User Control Panel, Edit Profile or any other relevant item. OR click on your name in the top right corner, then Profile (not User Control Panel), Edit Profile next to your username in the middle of the page which leads to the options. (Note: newly registered users may have restricted permissions and editing profiles may not be possible.)

A link to reply to a post quoting the current post To reply with a quote from another post, click on the " at the top right of the post you want to quote from.

Q. Can I please request that if a link is posted in a thread posting that if you click on the link that it opens in a new tab?
A. This can be coded by the Administrator, see https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... w-windows/ and has now been done.

Q. On the old forum when you push the button 'active topics', you get the active topics ordered per forum (Daimler, Lanchester & BSA Forums / Daimler Forum; Advertising & Sale / Cars & Parts For Sale eg.).
On this forum you just get a list of new or active topics and no reference to whatever forum it belongs to.
A. I haven't found a way to do that. I'm still learning about this forum too.

The Circle on left of topics in the forum and topic lists is red if there are unread posts, black if they are all read. Click the red circle to see all unread posts in that forum or topic.

Between the red circle and the topic title in a topics list there is a little orange square which will lead you to the first unread post (possibly the first of several). The column on the right shows the Last Post, but you may have read some of them.

A red asterisk in a red or black circle just means that you have posted to that topic.

If you are logged in but can't see your username in the list of users online, Hide online status may be "Yes". Click on your username at top right, User Control Panel, select Board preferences and tick "Hide online status" "No". You will then need to log out and log in again to invoke changes. Note - hiding online status has now been disabled.

To show a photo or image in a post or reply, open a New Topic window or click Post Reply in an existing topic, click Attachments below left of the post window, then click Add files which will open a separate window with your computer's file list, highlight a file (preferably in a .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp or .gif format), click Open at the bottom right of the window, wait for it to upload and it should show the filename at the bottom of the original post page, put the cursor in the post where you want the photo and click Place inline which will add the filename inside [ attachment] [ /attachment] code. You can Add files several times, max 4 per post. (There is also a quicker option by dragging a highlighted file into the message box but it still seems to end up in the list below waiting for you to click Place inline.) Then Submit the post. You don't need to use URL or IMG tags.
NOTE: The above method is how it works in Windows operating systems like IE on Windows 8.1 and 10, Firefox and Google Chrome. Apple operating systems don't show the Open button (I think you click Done after highlighting the filename, wait while uploading and Submit after it has uploaded) and there may be slight differences using older browsers.

If the upload shows a message that the image is too large, it may be the file size in KiB (max 2 MB or 2000 KiB at 01/09/2020).
Size in px is unlimited but 800 x 600 px is quite sufficient for a website (obviously a huge size in px will have a very large file size in KiB). Most computers have image software that can resize images and save with a .jpg or a .jpeg extension. Windows computers have "Paint" (search for mspaint.exe or paint.exe or Paint if you can't find the program).

NOTE: The Lightbox extension has now been installed which reduces a photo's width to 400px wide on the screen until you move the mouse over or click the image which enlarges the image as an overlay and then you can use the popup left or right arrows to scroll more images from the page (it needs JavaScript or ActiveX).

However, photos smaller than 400px wide will not be shown in the Lightbox but displayed as they are. Also, when using the Attachment tags, a photo that is wider than 400px and also has a height greater than its width will also be excluded from the Lightbox but displayed individually as a larger image in a separate page. If photos are coded inside [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags with a URL from another website like Flickr or photobucket a photo with a greater height than its width will be included in the Lightbox.

It seems complicated and I think the Lightbox has not been fully developed yet.

Posting photos via iPhone It is possible if you have the correct mobile phone and contract See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=179

Avatar in your Profile The maximum size is shown on the page where you upload your image (Click your username top right, then User Control Panel / Profile / Edit avatar or click your username then Profile / Edit Profile / Edit avatar).

A Signature image (maximum 200 x 150 px at 24/02/2016) has to be a website URL from a site like photobucket or Flickr with [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags, no space after [ , while attachments in the post and avatars can be uploaded from your computer.

phpBB is working on a photo gallery but it's not ready yet.

[ IMG] [ /IMG] tags, no space after [ , are for photos or images from an external website, beginning with http:// .

[ URL] [ /URL] tags, no space after [ , are for links to an external website beginning with http:// and can be used instead of the IMG tags for photos from an external website. In fact, with this version of the forum you can just type the URL without the [ URL] [ /URL] tags and it will be recognised as a link.

To show latest posts first Go to your User Control Panel (top right clicking your name), click Board Preferences, Edit Display Options, change Display Post Order direction to Descending. Remember to Submit (bottom of page).

At the top of the page is a link to Board index / General Club Forum / Chat Forum (it varies slightly depending where you are in the forum). Can I suggest that the same links are also placed at the bottom of a page as well? Generally you are scrolling down a page, especially a page of posts in a thread and the links at the top of the page have been scrolled off, but having read the last post in a thread you have the bottom of the page right there in front of you. I think it would streamline the end-user experience if there were the links right there at the bottom of the page where you are looking anyway. Thanks for listening... Chris.

You can use "Jump To" at the bottom of the page to go quickly to another forum, but that doesn't apply to posts within a forum.
If you change the post order to Descending (see above) you will be nearer the top of a page than the bottom.

EMAIL communication
The default in Client Communication / Email Settings is
Users send email via board: Enabled
and
Hide email addresses: Yes.
This means a member cannot see another member's email address but can send an email via DLOC email address and the receiver's email shows the member's username. The receiver can then see the sender's real name by looking up the username in the members' list on the website. The receiver's email shows DLOC.co.uk in the "From" box but the receiver can see the sender's email address after clicking Reply.

It's a privacy issue because another setting would allow any member to see any other member's email address and some people want to maintain privacy but still allow members to email them.

Also, someone receiving an email apparently from dloc in the “From” box will see the sender’s username in the email so he can look up the real name in the members’ list and the email says “Please note that the reply address to this email has been set to that of [the sender]” ie just click Reply to see it.

Normally you would click on a user's name and view his profile which would have "Email address: Send email to [username] or click on a small icon next to the word Contact. I'm sorry if it seems complicated but it is a standard method on lots of forums.
testemailfromdlocCapture.PNG
Click the image to enlarge it. Note the sender's username Wickham and the reference that his email address can be seen by clicking Reply.

A member can set his User Control Panel / Board Preferences / Edit Global Settings / Users can contact me by email: No but then no one can email the member and his email will be secret.

Q. I can't see where to send PMs. Would it be possible to add a link in each post as it gets posted that allows the person browsing the post to send the poster a PM?
A. If you click on the little speech bubble under where it says "Contact (Whoever)", a little blue speech bubble appears. Other ways to send a private message (or an email if you have permission), click on the name of the member on the left of a post or search the members' list and click on a name. Then click on Send private message or Send email to ...

Private Messaging (PM) After clicking Submit, as far as the sender is concerned the PM is sent but remains recorded in the highlighted Outbox and the Sent folder doesn't show it. The PM is sent but waits on the server until the receiver logs into his Private Messages when it will appear in his inbox and next time you log in the PM transfers from your Outbox to the Sent folder. I assume this is to show you if the receiver hasn't read it yet.

Recently I sent a PM but it still showed in the Outbox so I thought it hadn't sent as it still stayed there for some time. Later it did show in the Sent folder but I could see that the receiver was logged in.

Q. Can you stop someone sending you a PM?
A.Yes, every member can stop PMs an/or emails from other members (except Admin). Open your User Control Panel (top right under your name) go to Board Preferences and check the No box for private messages and Submit. You have to be logged in to send or read messages.

The Administrator of the new forum has said "I will speak with the board again about transferring data from the old forum".

There would appear to be at least three options:

1. Keep the old forum going but closed to new posts and new members so that it is Read Only, with Search facility and the ability to link from posts there to a post on the new forum. Edit: The old forum has now been transferred to the dloc.co.uk domain and is READ ONLY (April 2016).

2. Transfer data from one database to another, a job for an expert to align fields and criteria but I'm sure it would be possible. Databases all follow the same principles, but need aligning to match up. Databases have an export and import facility, but as I said, have to match the way they are set up. A separate forum with sub-forums would also have to be set up unless data can added to similar forums already on this forum. It might mean starting again with this forum and losing posts so far because merging forums seems to be virtually impossible. See https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... d24fd8b02a

3. Use a migration service like Profprojects or Sourceforge.

There might be other options.

ALLOCATIONS GENERALLY

Daimler, Lanchester, BSA and Technical forums should be for technical issues and related photos.
History sub-forums in Daimler, Lanchester and BSA forums should be for car histories, statistics, owners, stories about a car, etc. and related photos.
Cars for sale or wanted should be in the Cars for Sale or Cars & Parts Wanted forums with related photos.
Photos of cars at events, shows, meetings, etc. should be in the Events forum with date and description of the event.
Photos of cars in non-technical, non-historical, non-event situations like home settings, functions like marriages, on holidays, in museums, in magazines, etc. should be in the Photos forum.

phpBB is working on a Calendar for Events but it's not ready yet.

Searching for reg. nrs. Search for number with spaces like ABC 123 and without, like ABC123 .
Last edited by John-B on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Re: Some Posting questions answered

Post by #100910 »

Hi John, I'm unable to locate the 'Update Location' location.
location.PNG
location.PNG (23.8 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
(or update for any of these other fields.)
location-b.PNG
location-b.PNG (6.89 KiB) Viewed 8887 times

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

#100910 wrote:Hi John, I'm unable to locate the 'Update Location' location.
(or update for any of these other fields.)
Click on your name in the top right corner, then User Control Panel, then Profile, Edit Profile where you will see a box for Location either empty or already filled in.

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hi John,

I have looked for the Edit Profile option as you suggest but it is not one of the displayed options.

Henry
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

HenryC wrote:Hi John,
I have looked for the Edit Profile option as you suggest but it is not one of the displayed options.
Henry
You need to click your name, top right, then User Control Panel, not Profile, then it opens User Control Panel with lots of options. The Profile option top right seems to be just a quick review of it.
(User Control Panel / Profile / Edit Profile and other options)

SteveW62

Post by SteveW62 »

John-B wrote:You need to click your name, top right, then User Control Panel, not Profile,............
John, I'm afraid I'm with Henry on this one. I don't have an Edit Profile option. This is what I see when doing as you suggest
DLOC_forum_2_profile.jpg
DLOC_forum_2_profile.jpg (37.89 KiB) Viewed 8859 times
Maybe some options become available after you have made enough posts ? Or maybe it is an option that was switched off & so only available to the guys who registered very early ( The so called "A" spec users , us "B /C" specs are heavier, but much more desirable )
[/color]

SteveW62

Post by SteveW62 »

Found it !!

It's a bit convoluted ... but follow the text & press the green boxes shown in the next few screenshots

Click on the tiny triangle right of your name ( top right in the screen )
DLOC_forum_2_profile_1.jpg
DLOC_forum_2_profile_1.jpg (8.75 KiB) Viewed 8858 times
Now use the "Profile" option that has just appeared

Now use the "Edit Profile" link shown below ( It doesn't look like a link, but it is ! )
DLOC_forum_2_profile_3.jpg
DLOC_forum_2_profile_3.jpg (25.03 KiB) Viewed 8858 times

& there it is !
DLOC_forum_2_profile_4.jpg
DLOC_forum_2_profile_4.jpg (58.55 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
[/color]

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Well, that's the second way to do it! It should work my way too but I don't know why it didn't for you (it does for me). Never mind, as long as you got there.

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Thanks Steve,

Found it, edited the profile, and now it works as John has suggested - wierd!
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

HenryC wrote: Found it, edited the profile, and now it works as John has suggested - wierd!
Not weird. Newly registered users have limited permissions and you now have 4 posts. The default number to move to an ordinary registered user is, I believe, 3 at the moment so you now have standard permissions. #100910 only has two posts at the moment so he may still not be able to edit his profile properly.

I have another forum under my control with the same phpBB version and on that one a newly registered user can't edit a Profile with either of the methods described above.

phpBB forums have quite various and complicated permissions and it's easy to have a conflict where something is possible one way but not another when something is slightly out of sync.