Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Internet requests

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Internet requests

Post by New Dexter »

I have commented on this before and "classic life" expressed similar irritation. Over the weekend I received two emails about a listing I have on Car and Classics's webpage. Strangely, for some reason, they have stopped taking listings for parts.
However, one chap asked if I had a specific part, I had a look, couldn't find one and sent him a short email. He replied, something of an unusual event in itself, thanking me for trying. The second was someone I suspected of being a "keyboard bore". ie they asked for a list of what I might have for sale. I suggested he send me a list of what he wanted and add a short list. Needless to say I have heard nothing more.
There has been something on this forum. Some weeks ago someone posted a request for information about his car rebuild. I did not have the answer, consulted with someone who did and sent this forum member a PM with the information he sought. Now this member is not in the UK but unless he's been using "google translate" his English was good enough to answer the question but lacking when it came to a short message of thanks.
I have asked before if this forum could have a "thanks" icon so that other members who had learned from the reply could express their thanks. It exists on one the car forum and it's similar to the "like" icon on facebook.

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Internet requests

Post by John-B »

New Dexter wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:03 am I have asked before if this forum could have a "thanks" icon so that other members who had learned from the reply could express their thanks. It exists on one the car forum and it's similar to the "like" icon on facebook.
This basic free forum software didn't have an extension for it. I looked a few years ago and a volunteer had started to code one but never finished it, and it would have to be approved by phpBB before I attempted to use it.
However, I've just looked again and there is an add-on now but there are lots of questions about it and one that it doesn't install on the latest phpBB version 3.2.7. I'll test it on my test forum in due course. It may not work on our style which isn't the forum default style.

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
In my opinion the giving of thanks for someone who has helped you is a matter of common courtesy. In my old age, things are not what they used to be, I have noticed it is more of a cultural thing. People from the 60's onwards are less likely to say thank you than us OFs. In my now extensive travels I have noticed that people, not particularly on ethentricty lines but on cultural lines. In Africa, India, the Middle East and South America anyone giving thanks either to each other or in my case travellers are much less likely to say thank you than say the British and North Americans. I cannot speak of the Far East and Australasia as I have never been there. These comments are in now way painting all the groups mentioned but a general observation as I have seen things.
Regards

Colin

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Thanks for your comments, which I'm sure weren't racist :shock:
One forum I visit does have a thumbs up icon or thumbs down but I find that I don't notice such a small icon. A post with thanks and a comment as to why a post helped is often more appropriate.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

You must remember - people do not appreciate you for what you have done in the past - only for your usefulness in the future.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Confucius said in 483B.C. (it was a Thursday afternoon) "If you do something for nothing, that is the value of the respect you will earn"