Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dilemma

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Dilemma

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Along with many other branches of society we're going to have learn to modify our vocabulary - see here for example.

Any suggestions for alternatives to 'Master' cylinder and 'Slave' cylinder?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

JDB

Re: Dilemma

Post by JDB »

Primary and secondary would seem logical enough. JB

Bud

Post by Bud »

How about control circuit/system and repeater circuit/system.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I suppose the dictionary will be easier to pickup when the words are deleted.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

My first "semantics" of "Master" and "Slave" were learned in 1969/70 from watching Up Pompeii https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Pompeii!
In that TV series, Frankie Howerd played the slave Lurcio , and his master was the bumbling fool Ludicrus Sextus. Based on that relationship, I was confused to find out that there was another semantic lurking in a car's brakes !! To be perfectly honest, it still confuses me, as in either engineering or physics terms, the master cylinder has to exert the same effort that the slave cylinder(s) receive. Likewise, when I read that article that the same semantic was being used in software, well my mind boggled !!

As usual, the Germans win on this, with Hauptbremszylinder and Nehmerzylinder (bremsen) which aptly describe what is really happening in this engineering relationship.

Haupt brems zylinder main brake cylinder (haupt as in haupteingang main entrance)
Nehmer zylinder receiver cylinder

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Relating to hydraulic clutch systems in German there's the "Geberzylinder" (giver cylinder) and the "Nehmerzylinder" (receiver cylinder).

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Well armed with the German words Hauptbremszylinder , Geberzylinder , Nehmerzylinder I was curious to find out what other semantics were used in other languages.

I used Google Translate, from German to selected language (you just use the drop-down to alter the "to" language).

Italian gives the primary and secondary as suggested previously
Hauptbremszylinder .. Cilindro del freno principale
Geberzylinder ........... Cilindro principale
Nehmerzylinder ......... Cilindro secondario

Russian
Hauptbremszylinder .. Главный тормозной цилиндр (main brake cylinder)
Geberzylinder ........... Главный цилиндр (main cylinder)
Nehmerzylinder ......... Рабочий цилиндр (working cylinder)

Portuguese, Spanish, French all use the master slave variant as used in English - thus it's interesting to ponder which country came up with that terminology first (and then the others copied it).

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I was going to reply on this post yesterday but decided not to on the grounds that I would incriminate myself.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"