Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Mission of mercy to help my old dad out!

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
PompeyDave

Mission of mercy to help my old dad out!

Post by PompeyDave »

Hello! My first post on here. I had a yellow 4.2 Daimler Sovereign back in 1990 and it was the smoothest car I've ever owned. I'm on here today on a mission of mercy really. My dad is 90 and his equally aged neighbour recently lent him an old copy of 'The Driving Member' magazine as it had a photo of the Pompey Sailor in it. This was a cartoon character from the 1950's that is still used today by the local paper when reporting on Portsmouth FC matches. The neighbour gave it to my dad who passed it onto to me with the words "just throw it away when you've finished with it, she doesn't want it back". This I duly did. Two weeks have gone by and now the neighbour wants it back as the copy apparently has a photo of a dear friend of hers in it and it that has great sentimental value.

The only problem is we can't remember which edition it was? We bought the September 1993 edition from eBay thinking this was the right one, and it turned up in the post yesterday but it's the wrong one. It definitely had a dark green front cover and it's from that 1993-1995 era, but other than that we're stumped.

Would anyone be able to remember which edition it is from the photo link below of the Pompey Sailor please? Thank you.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAP

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Mission of mercy to help my old dad out!

Post by Stan Thomas »

Can't the publishers of the "local paper" you mention help - or the central or local library archives who normally keep copies of the local press (on mico-fitche which they can print off) going back to the year dot?

I approached the central library in Birmingham some years ago and within minutes they produced a picture of the old "back-to-back" house built in the 1880's where I was born, and later a newspaper picture of my dad collecting coke in a pram during shortages in the early 1930's.

With the help of the Council Archives I've traced the previous owners of my sleeve valve back to 1947 - and I'm still on the trail of the "titled person" in Stoke-on-Trent who bought it originally in 1931. You just need to ferret around!

Happy hunting!

Stan.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I'm not sure the 'local paper' will be able to help with back issues of 'The Driving Member' Stan. :(
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

PompeyDave

Post by PompeyDave »

Yes, it’s a specific issue of The Driving Member That I need please.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Sorry - I was not clear in my post, but whilst obviously "Pompey Sailor" was not exclusive to our Club magazine, I though Pompey Dave was simply looking for some historical reference to this character.

However, f you are seeking the specific club magazine in which to return it or whatever, then do you have any idea of the date or approximate date of the "Driving Member" magazine you need, so we can have a look through - although it does sound to be an early issue.

Was it A5 size (21 x 15cm) or A4? Would Kevin our Editor have any recollection of putting "Pompey Sailor" in the mag?

Stan.

PompeyDave

Post by PompeyDave »

It was A4 size and had a green front cover. I believe the issue I need is from the early 1990’s. The photo of the Pompey Sailor cartoon is the key to identifying the correct issue.

PompeyDave

Post by PompeyDave »

can anyone help me with this please? Would the club magazine editor be worth contacting? If so, who would it be? Thanks.

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

The DM Editor does not keep back issues - all DM publications are handled by I believe Lavenham Press.

It is highly unlikely they will have a back issue that old, but worth a call on 01787.249.282 and ask for DLOC Membership - explain your dilemma.

The other alternative is to use the Forum search engine entering the word - magazines - this will bring up a number of hits. It may be worth sending folks an email (not a private message) to ascertain if they have your DM and if so may be prepared to part with it.

Good luck.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Another option, although I'm sure you have done this, is place in the eBay search frame - driving member and then the year.

By entering only those search requirements it will bring up all the available DM's for sale - it is just a case of remembering what the front page was !!

My final suggestion and more time consuming: some eBay sellers have numerous copies of historic DM's for sale - for example thethreeneils222 and it may be worth asking such a seller if they can check for you, on providing a date parameter say 1993 to 1995 for example. If you outline your compassionate case it may well assist getting the seller to do the searches; at the end of the day they want to sell their items.

Of note, that particular seller has 170x separate back issues of the DM !!!

To start you off, here is a link for the above seller I mentioned - it's a case of taking it from there:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-DRIVING- ... XQXTZRfR9F

Good luck.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

h.j.thomassen

Post by h.j.thomassen »

Unfortunately, I don't have any 1993 issues. But my 1994 and 1995 set is complete, apart from December 1995. I looked through all those, but found no sign of your Pompey Sailor character.

Maybe one of the musea can help in finding out what the exact issue was, and from there on you may then try eBay, or abebooks,co.uk, to obtain a copy. Worth trying are the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (Gaydon), the National Motor Museum (Beaulieu) or the Transport Museum in Coventry. You'll probably have to book a visit to their reading room in advance.
Hendrik-Jan
Last edited by h.j.thomassen on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.