Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Brain Cell location

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Brain Cell location

Post by New Dexter »

I have been driving for quite a few years and yet the stupidity of some drivers, even now, makes me wonder what goes on in their head.
I am sure we have been on the road in the early hours and the light is far from perfect yet we see oncoming cars without lights. Do they think there is some cost involved in switching on the headlights? Whatever happened to the "See and BE seen"?

A couple of weeks ago I was wandering down a dual carriageway at 50 mph. It was a gloomy evening, it was raining, visibility wasn't good and in my offside mirror I could just make out a small light. The comedian (I am being VERY polite here) driving the red Mazda had just one front sidelight showing yet as he shot past he had two rear lights and bless him he'd switched on the rear fog, presumably in case another clown ran into the back of him. I do wonder where he'd put his brain cell.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Brain Cell location

Post by Chris_R »

New Dexter wrote:I do wonder where he'd put his brain cell.
There's a fundamental flaw in your thinking here.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

New Dexter wrote:I have been driving for quite a few years and yet the stupidity of some drivers, even now, makes me wonder what goes on in their head.
I am sure we have been on the road in the early hours and the light is far from perfect yet we see oncoming cars without lights. Do they think there is some cost involved in switching on the headlights? Whatever happened to the "See and BE seen"?

A couple of weeks ago I was wandering down a dual carriageway at 50 mph. It was a gloomy evening, it was raining, visibility wasn't good and in my offside mirror I could just make out a small light. The comedian (I am being VERY polite here) driving the red Mazda had just one front sidelight showing yet as he shot past he had two rear lights and bless him he'd switched on the rear fog, presumably in case another clown ran into the back of him. I do wonder where he'd put his brain cell.
An interesting topic of conversation. Whilst I agree that daytime lights should be used if visibility is bad (subjective) I'm not a an advocate of daytime running lights in general. It seems these days most have lights on all day and all have lights on when it rains! In the good old days it was just those weird Volvo and Saab owners who couldn't switch their lights off. As all my vehicles run courtesy of Joe Lucas (POD) with dynamos I tend to be more reticent when it comes to reaching for the light switch (with one eye on the road and the other on the ammeter). I wonder how long it will be before the EU make it compulsory even for classics?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

sherlock

Post by sherlock »

Why are you so certain this kind of people has brain cell ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a froggy, nobody is perfect

1934 BSA three wheeler - 1968 Daimler 250 V8 - 1993 Daimler XJ40 Majestic LWB

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I'm more concerned about my battery cells
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Phillmore wrote:I wonder how long it will be before the EU make it compulsory even for classics?
Why does everyone always pick on the EU as the bogey man?
It is compulsory to use daytime driving lights or headlights (if you don't have daytime driving lights) during the day in Switzerland and they are not in the EU.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Volvo in Sweden started this as they had very strong documented proof that it reduced accidents and made vehicles much more visible, even in daylight. You can't contravene the evidence but of course it's less practical with a low output generator on old cars.
I worked in Jamaica, on behalf of Volvo Bus Corporation and they insisted on the buses having headlamps on during daylight which caused a great deal of ribbing but....there were less damage incidents with the Volvo vehicles compared to the Mercedes competition.
I had a hell of a job convincing people it was a good idea though.
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Why would you need headlights on in daylight? Do we use windscreen wipers when it's not raining? The EU have already proposed compulsory daytime running lights. It's Health and Safety gone mad replacing common sense. It also puts those of us who are conserving our batteries at a disadvantage because other road uses are looking out for lights rather than vehicles.
Andy

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I have a feeling that all these matters will seem tiny and irrelevant in a few years when supporters of autonomous driving cars manage to convince the EU or UK government that we must all surrender our right to drive in order to improve road safety statistics. I kid you not, the battle has already started for readers of "Time" magazine and viewers of certain BBC programmes.

Sincerely

Geoff