Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Peaky Blinders

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Peaky Blinders

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

If you aren't already watching it, this is a BBC drama series set in Birmingham in early part of the last century about the activities of a criminal gang – the eponymous Peaky Blinders. Although to some extent based on fact ( the Peaky Blinders did actually exist, although their heyday was the latter 19th century rather than the 1920's) the series is not over concerned with historical accuracy; however episode 2 of the current series opens in the Lanchester factory in Sparkbrook Birmingham.

The plot is rather too involved for my enfeebled mind to grasp fully, but does involve the illegal selling of military equipment to some dodgy russians (whether Bolsheviks or White Russians I couldn't work out); specifically a job lot of Lanchester armoured cars, presumably ex-WW1 4x2's.

There is a gloomily lit factory shot of a line of these vehicles, most under dust covers but one recognisably an armoured car. I doubt that it was an original (do any still exist?) but the mock-up seemed a fair representation of the real thing...
Armoured-Car-Lanchester.jpg
Interesting to see this bit of obscure motoring history aired before a public to the majority of which the name Lanchester must have little significance..
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".