Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dodgy telephone number possibly from Germany?

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Dodgy telephone number possibly from Germany?

Post by New Dexter »

I have posted about strange telephone numbers before. Usually I can recognise them, just wait until they stop ringing and return to normal life.
However, this morning I received a call from 004 352 4273 777. I did not recognise the number and not wishing to open a small can or worms ignored it. Minutes later 004 352 4265 060 called and I ignored that too. Then the mobile went off with another 004 number.

I suspect that 004 is a German number but why they called three times and never left a message I do not understand. Does anyone have any comments

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Dodgy telephone number possibly from Germany?

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

If you put nuisance numbers into a search engine you'll often find feedback from others who've had the same problem. You can also use this site where you may find comments on the source of the call.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you for your information. It appears that 0043 is Austria, 0049 is Germany.
Thus the number would be 0043 (for Austria) 524 (presumably the area code) and 265060 the caller's number.

524 doesn't appear on any of the sites that list Austrian codes. Quite why they should have been so persistent remains a mystery

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

There are two options, you can try calling it (probably a waste of time if the area code doesn't exist) many of these calls are spam calls and the number is computer generated and called via Skype or similar system from a PC. The hope is that you may know someone in that country and call back or answer it, mainly it is a call centre in the UK trying to sell windows or boiler under a non existent scrappage scheme, it is away of avoiding detection under the TPS.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I recently learned of another type of telephone scam.

You receive a number to call back - but it just rings out. Charging of course does not apply until the recipient answers, but in this case if you ring back, answering is automatic and instantaneous, and you hear a recording of a 'phone ringing out, for which you are being charged premium rate.

Sometimes, the original call is linked to a message saying you have won a prize or been selected to receive some benefit, then dependant upon individual gulability or greed, the recipient rings back and hangs on listening to a phone ringing out .......................

sherlock

Post by sherlock »

For you information, I never give my real phone number but I "buy" another provisional number, and I give them in place of my real number. My favorite number seller is sonetel : http://sonetel.com/

If I receive an unwanted phone call, I change my number
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a froggy, nobody is perfect

1934 BSA three wheeler - 1968 Daimler 250 V8 - 1993 Daimler XJ40 Majestic LWB