Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Confused.

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Graham

Confused.

Post by Graham »

I have now put 2 comments on the main site asking about the old forum, they are up for a few minutes then removed by the establishment . I was only asking the question what as happened to it. Obviously something to hide.

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Confused.

Post by John-B »

Both your posts about 11pm last night are visible in the topic viewtopic.php?f=16&t=281 page 11. None of your posts have ever been removed, it must have been some unexplained hiccup. Perhaps you didn't realise that you were still looking at page 10.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks john, maybe I was looking in the wrong place, I can see them now also. I do agree with all the comments that you put up about the forum. It is a shadow of what it used to be. I used to be a member of the dloc for many years and had piles of magazines with very little in about my make of car. I left a few years ago and joined the dec , at least you get discount off parts. To be honest and not a big dart fan and the magazine seemed to favour this mark.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Graham

I understand how you feel about the frequency of articles in the DM and posts on the Forum about the SP250. Unfortunately, although so few were made, SP owners form one of the most active groups of model owners. It is that sort of machine.

However one of things I like most about the DLOC and one that sets it apart from many other car clubs is that, despite the vast number of models that Daimler and Lanchester (and BSA) made, the DLOC remains a single entity which caters for all of them, through the DM, this forum, and with a broad collection of model registrars. Rather like the EU at this point in time I think if it started to fragment that would mean the end of it for everyone because each of the model groups is too small to be independently viable.

Many Dart owners have another, if not several other, cars of the marque, and some have cars of other marques. These cars are so fascinating. Sometimes an SP leads the owner on to another, often older, model; partly due to what they discover about them via the DM and the Forum. This is healthy, especially in current times when interest in older cars is fragile. I have an SP, indeed two very different examples, and a very special Century.

I like reading and learning about all of the models all the time, so one day if space and other resources permit, knowing what I've learned about them here and in the DM, I'll buy something larger and ideally pre war.

Cheers

Geoff

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Regarding the forum, it is well used, we had a couple of thousand signed up on the old forum of which only a couple of hundred regularly signed in, we are near that figure here now...................

The figure below at 14 00 today showing 40 people on the forum one evening!

In total there are 8 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 40 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:34 pm.

Some of us remember the forum before the last one and the change was a shock to users to move over to "a new one", one day this one will probably have to move when becomes stale and defunct. As said before who uses Windows 95 now, long gone and out of date.

sherlock

Post by sherlock »

John Hitchins wrote:As said before who uses Windows 95 now, long gone and out of date.
Yes, but now the Windows 3.1 Owner Club accept the Windows 95 users as associate members...

Ok, ok, I Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a froggy, nobody is perfect

1934 BSA three wheeler - 1968 Daimler 250 V8 - 1993 Daimler XJ40 Majestic LWB

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

John Hitchins wrote:Regarding the forum, it is well used, we had a couple of thousand signed up on the old forum of which only a couple of hundred regularly signed in, we are near that figure here now...................
No where near close ! 138 out of 378 users have never posted, 42 only 1 posting making "regulars" = a measly 76 users that have 10 or more postings.
John Hitchins wrote:The figure below at 14 00 today showing 40 people on the forum one evening!
It has a very long way to go then to catch up to the old forum

Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 || Total: 13 [ Administrators | Moderators ] Active Users Record: 333 | Record Set On: 15 February 2016 at 08:36:42 AM
John Hitchins wrote:In total there are 8 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 40 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:34 pm.
quite abysmal compared with the old forum
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Well better to have this forum than nothing which would have been the case.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I think the argument about the numbers on the old forum is a bit of a red herring, there were a number of people registered on the old forum who had sadly passed away, but they were still there as members.

With regard to posts, I guess some are joiners and never post, some are readers and rarely post and some like me post all the time, in my case on the premise that if you don't use it you lose it.

There will always be those who object to change, but some things like magneto ignition have had their day and are now considered quaint but interesting, in programming terms quaint and likeable old forum was in the magneto age.

Those of us who looked several times a day saw the increasing number of intruders and scammers getting into the forum, those the powers that be had to remove every day to avoid the forum going under, they did it before most even noticed, some times dozens a day.

Something had to change and it is only natural that some object, but having had no option but to change we either get used to the new format and enjoy the ride or we get off the bus, there is no going back.