Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cleaning out petrol tanks.

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Cleaning out petrol tanks.

Post by Stan Thomas »

As I've got sediment/rust in my otherwise very sound petrol tank, what is the concensus of opinion regarding the best way to either clean it out myself or the best way to have it done professionally?

Some say D.I.Y and filll it with molasses or put in some old bolts and shake it about - you do the Okey-Cokey - (sorry, I started to get carried away). I've asked the professionals, who advocate a range from steam cleaning to cutting it open, and a local firm say they acid-dip them.

Any views or experiences?

nd

dansdaimler

Re: Cleaning out petrol tanks.

Post by dansdaimler »

This was discussed recently here

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=822&p=4089#p4089

Any further thoughts welcome
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

When I did my tank I used the steam cleaner at work. By repeatedly waving the lance in filler neck and getting the tank hot and sloshing the tank around then emptying I was able to get the water to run clear when emptied. There was loads of rubbish came out and it took me a couple of hours.

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Thanks for your advice lads. I did consider a slosh-sealant such as POR 15, but there is a problem!

My car has an Hobson (pneumatic) fuel guage with gubbins in the petrol tank with little holes in, which of course a sealant would block up - so unless I can remove it complete, I really cannot use a sealer.

A bit more head-scratching, but thanks anyway for your thoughts.

Stan.