Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest YPL 479

Hooper Daimlers & other pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers sub-forum.
Cars in motoring holidays, racing, at functions like marriages, in museums, etc. Photos not applicable to technical, sale or event forums.
NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Daimler Conquest YPL 479

Post by NickDeAth »

Spotted near Romford Essex.

While travelling home from work a few weeks ago I spotted something that looked interesting 3 or 4 in front of me in the traffic. When he turned off I couldn't resist following to have a look. It was parked on a corner near some shops and the driver had gone. While I was taking pictures (my phone isn't internet connected which is why it has taken a while to get the pictures on here) the driver returned and we had a good chat.

He told me it was commissioned by ITN to be built as a camera car from the Daimler factory. It had a hinged rubber covered roof and a platform in the back for the cameraman to stand on. The platform also had foot holds for the cameraman to put his feet in. The guy said he had just collected it from a cabinet maker who had made a new set of rear doors for it.
Photo-0033.jpg
Photo-0034.jpg
Photo-0035.jpg

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Daimler Conquest YPL 479

Post by Salmons »

There was a similar car built on a Majestic Major chassis. Graham Frost bought it in a scrapyard and brought it up to Norfolk, about twenty years ago, for Brian Hills to scrap for spares. The body was too far gone for restoration, with a lot missing, but Brian rebuilt the engine which was later sold.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

The guy showed me the inner sills on this one which had been very poorly repaired before. He said he had another Conquest whose inner sills were good enough to be grafted onto the camera car.

Nick

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Could this be the same car as shown on page 9 of the May DM? If I remember rightly the guy showed me an old tax disc which appeared to say YPL but I suppose could have been YPE.

Nick

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Looks like Alex Stewart's car which he had in the 1980s. It was the last surviving ITN Daimler.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Well from what the guy said it was being stored in a secret barn in south Essex and he was going to restore it to its former glory.

Nick