Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Regency or 104?

Hooper Daimlers & other pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers sub-forum.
Cars in motoring holidays, racing, at functions like marriages, in museums, etc. Photos not applicable to technical, sale or event forums.
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler Regency or 104?

Post by Phillmore »

How can you tell whether Mk1 or Mk2 if some Mk1s had the later Mk2 heater fitted and so the grills rather than spot lights?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

And I've often wondered how exactly was the extra four inches of rear leg room achieved?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Answer to question 1.

The rear seat body panel to which the squab attaches and the seat base was pushed back by 4" which resulted in the increased legroom but at the expense of the depth of the rear parcel shelf and boot space. The battery box also moved. Centuries had this and eventually all MkII strict Conquests. That's why Century carpets will not fit strict cars or LJs and vice versa.

Answer to question 2.

The main way of detecting a MkII strict Conquests are the jacking points which are on the chassis ends a la Century, rather than on each end of the "sill" like the LJ200 (which it was with a bigger engine!)

There were other MkII differences but mainly with the steering set up, some small rear brake modifications and IMHO a cheapening of manufacture. MkII bodies to me always seem thinner metal that the Mk1s!!!

Even the pleated seating is no guarantee of a MkII!!

ps - the heater mod was £25.....................
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Thanks Neil. Is there a rough date when the transition occurred? I assume my 54 is a Mk1 and my 56 and 57 are Mk2s. The 54 is a bit of a 'bitsa' being a Century which has had the engine removed and swapped for a strict Conquest engine.
Andy

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

September 1955 somehow rings a bell, but don't take that as Gospel.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Why oh why would anyone want to change a Century engine for a Conquest one? 100 bhp versus 75bhp = no contest, Century wins every time surely?

Cheers

Geoff

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I suspect someone robbed the Century engine to put it in a car with better bodywork or maybe the Century engine went bang and they could only find a Conquest engine to replace it. Either way it's a bit rough and tatty but basically solid so will be our daily run around 'rat' Daimler as they say with a view to be restored one day ;)
Andy