Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Simmonds Speedboat

Hooper Daimlers & other pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers sub-forum.
Cars in motoring holidays, racing, at functions like marriages, in museums, etc. Photos not applicable to technical, sale or event forums.
simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Daimler Simmonds Speedboat

Post by simonp »

Although I have now sold this boat which has appeared in various books, I suspect it will not been seen again for a while as it has gone up to Scotland near Ayr for family use with no interest in Clubs etc.

Many will know it was fitted with a marinised version of the Daimler 2.5 litre V8 engine. The boat was built in the late 50s but the engine was one of a very limited production run with over four pages of parts which vary from the standard car engine. I researched as best I could the Daimler marine archive that included a lot of Jaguar race engine material relating to offshore power boats etc.

The engine was originally commissioned by Norman Buckley for one of his club race boats. He was using Jaguar engines for the Miss Windermere Series of record making boats mostly used for endurance records on Windermere. It was a joint project with Phil Weaver and the Jaguar Development Dept supported by William Lyons. Norman Buckley did extensive testing on Windermere and there are lots of reports and analysis covering this. The engine was launched with its own brochure at the 1962 Boat Show with a lot of interest from the likes of Lord Brabazon and Tommy Sopwith.

I bought the boat nearly 20 years ago from Alan Fawcus who still has the Daimler Hydroplane made at Bowicks on Windermere and fitted with a prototype Daimler Majestic Major 4.5 litre V8.
Attachments
Simmonds 9.JPG
Simmonds 8_01.JPG
IMGP3604.JPG
DSCN0218.JPG
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!