Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Barker Special Sports LLJ 327

Barrie

Daimler Barker Special Sports LLJ 327

Post by Barrie »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pictures of my DBSS
Owned by me for seven years from 1972.
Interesting to think I bought it when it was only 21 years old. (And I was 22)

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Daimler Barker Special Sports LLJ 327

Post by John-B »

Lovely car.
A long time ago I set up a sub-forum in both the Daimler forums (Daimler histories and statistics) so that people could describe the history of their car, statistics, repairs, holidays, previous owners, photos, etc. but hardly any one has done this. Your car seems to be a good candidate. You had a car not normally associated with a young man. How about writing something about your experiences? I'll move the topic to the histories sub-forum.

Barrie

Re: Daimler Barker Special Sports LLJ 327

Post by Barrie »

So sorry to have taken so long to respond John. Here’s a tale about my beloved Barker.
After I sold it in 1980 I lost track of it until it came up for auction at Bonhams about 10 years ago. It was a nice summers day so I decided on a trip out to see it during one of the viewing days. When I arrived I went straight away to see it and it was like seeing an old friend. Sure, the colour was different and the leather replaced but as I gazed under the bonnet all was the same and I speculated to myself that I could service it with my eyes shut. Such an accessible uncluttered layout. The fellow standing next to me heard me mutter ‘Marvelous’, smiled at me and asked some technical question about the fluid flywheel.
As soon as I’d finished another fellow struck up a conversation and I answered a few queries. I’m beginning to feel quite pleased with myself imagining that I have some aura that naturally radiates authority, after all, why me?
I then went to look at another love of mine, the Jensen interceptor as at the time I owned a CV8 which shares the same chassis. Looking under the bonnet which is crowded with engine and ancillaries I thought it no wonder they are renowned to overheat and someone said to me “Excuse me but do you know if this is a 383 or 440 engine?” I told him it was an early car and therefore 383. Maybe all this grey hair does bring its benefits I thought to myself but then when yet another fellow approached me I begin to smell a rat and it dawned on me. It was such a pleasant day that I thad put on a new short-sleeved Polo shirt in what I thought was a very attractive shade of dark green. Whoever organised the auction was of the same mind and equipped all the Bonham's staff with Polo shirts of exactly the same colour. So much for my aura of authority. They say that pride comes before the a fall.