Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

polish

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
keithstone

polish

Post by keithstone »

A few years ago I got a nice xmas present of swissvax. It has now run out and looking at the cost of around £130 is not worth replacing. I do like the carnuba polishes has anyone had experience of a decent one at a reasonable price. its for a SP.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: polish

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I've used Autoglym High Definition Wax for some years. It still strikes me as expensive (though not as dear as Swissvax) but it's easy to apply and buff, produces a good depth of colour and beads water for a few months if 'refreshed' occasionally with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I wanted a polish that didn't have any abrasives in as the original paint on one of my sixty year old Conquests was getting a bit 'thin' so I use Hydra Wax by Bilt Hamber.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Andy, I can say as dedicated ,”Serial polisher”, that you will find no better product than Harly Wax , this you can find on eBay .
I have tried and tested nearly every type of polish , and now only use Harly Carnuba Wax on my Lanchester, I have also recommended this product to many of my friends , and without exception, they all have been really pleased with the level of finish and protection it provides .

O
A54FA569-2680-4694-8F96-1A35B0B41C44.jpeg
A54FA569-2680-4694-8F96-1A35B0B41C44.jpeg
Best wishes A’l
Attachments
6C132BBB-0931-4EBC-856A-BD76A33CFF13.jpeg

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Looks good Al. The Bilt Hamber product is a Carnuba wax as well and is one of two polishes they produce that are totally non abrasive. The paint on my '56 Conquest has been so lovingly polished by two the previous owners that it is down to the primer in a few small areas!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Andy, precisely my point , I had the same problem with my Lanchester, fortunately, the areas concerned were very small and I managed to Air Brush them over, one of the benefits of having my car painted with Cellulose!
Of course the benefit of using pure Carnuba Wax as it does not remove paint, in fact the correct term now is Waxing the car and definitely Not polishing !,
Incidentally, it’s reconed that the deeper the colour of the Wax , defines the quality of the product .

Cheers A’l :D

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I have to say that the water beads are the roundest and fattest I've ever seen using this BH product! They don't like it at all ;)
Andy

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I've used Bilt Hamber products for years and feel they out perform Autoglym which I used previously. I use the clay bar once or twice a year, followed by Cleanser Polish to get the surface really smooth and ready for wax. Give it a go then with Auto Balm and you will really see the difference - a deep, wet shine. I then use Hydra Wax over that each time I clean the car, as it is quicker and easier to use than the Auto Balm. I've tried Finis Wax as well - good, but trickier to use I've found. It can produce dust, and on my car at least it tends to 'bloom' easily. The really good thing is that as a wax rather than a polish, you are applying a further coat each time, rather than taking them off as a polish would do. I find it gives a really nice mellow finish - see pic.

I also use their other products - Ferrosol is excellent, once used you will never buy a can of WD40 again. Surfex Cleaner is also good. Their rust proofing fluids are much easier to use than Waxoyl, and on my Bentley they completely stopped any underbody corrosion. I just topped up the finish each year and then had the confidence to use the car in all weathers. I really do recommend them.

Mark
Attachments
20160709_125136.jpg

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I use Ferrosol as well Mark although I used to find Plusgas was an amazing product (can you still get it)? I first started using BH products after noticing they usually came out top in tests carried out by Practical Classics. I've just bought a bottle of their Hydrate 80 anti rust product. I've not used it yet but again it came out top in the PC tests.
Andy

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Hi Andy,

Yes, PLusGas is very good, I think you can still get it, I've certainly got a can in the garage. I don't like the smell however, and it isn't as versatile as Ferrosol, which I've found has lots of uses.

Mark