Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car model, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Chris_R

Re: Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Post by Chris_R » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:09 pm

Colin, I'm inclined to agree with you about getting the cars independently checked. I replied to the Government's consultation and opposed the exemption. However, MOT or not won't make any difference to insurance or continental touring. The exemption stems from the latest EU Safety directive (which incidentally the UK played a major part in developing and writing) and so there will be no issue driving an exempt car in the rest of the EU as even without an MOT your car will be compliant with the EU regulations.

Phillmore

Post by Phillmore » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Warsash 2 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 pm
Hi
I have decided to have my 4 over 40 year old cars MOT'd as a an independent check on them. This may satisfy the insurance company or at least give them less wriggle room to avoid any claim and should make continental touring easier. The exemptions seem to be too much hassle and too vague.
This would appear to be a business opportunity for a MOT station to offer safety checks on older cars particularly if they are blessed with mechanics that understand older cars.
Regards

Colin
I don't think the exemptions are particularly vague and generally work in our favour. I don't think they are any hassle either as it will purely be a tick box exercise when taxing on line. My local MOT station is very classic friendly (the owners drive/own a mini moke, Austin 7, Audi Quattro, MG Maestro and a fifties sunbeam along with a few old bikes) and will undertake safety checks for exempt cars if required. Let's embrace a very rare bit of slack from from the EU ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Sydsmith

Post by Sydsmith » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:32 pm

I am not yet a member of the SP250 owners club but their Feb magazine contains a note that some SP's were made with R&P steering by Daimler/Jaguar.

I don't have the sort of knowledge to challenge the claim but I bet some one here has.