Clutch fluid V8 250 manual

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car model, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Sydsmith

Re: Clutch fluid V8 250 manual

Post by Sydsmith » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks Dave for the reassurance.

Tony, we have been going to the same place for over 20 years, when property prices bombed five years ago we bought a superb cottage for a pittance. Just hoping Brexit will not spoil our fun.

Three years ago I found two SP250's and a V8 250 in a barn just 10 miles away from our cottage but the chap wisely did not want to sell and still has them, along with a dozen other collectors cars all un-roadworthy but dry stored.

NickDeAth

Post by NickDeAth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Well the info in the thread on the above link was very informative but I now don' t know what to put in my brakes when I eventually get that far .
I had convinced myself that DOT 5 was the way to go but now I don't know.
Has anybody on this forum got first hand experience or recommendations?

Nick

While reading the link and typing the post others have posted, I am now erring towards DOT 5
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Christopher Storey

Post by Christopher Storey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:54 am

I still use Dot 3 for all purposes. It has better lubrication qualities than 4 or 5 and minimises the possibility of sticking seals which is a particular hazard in remote servos

As far as silicone fluids are concerned , whilst they are not hygroscopic in themselves, they do not prevent condensation in airspaces such as those in reservoirs and master cylinders . The result is that water globules can collect and run down to the lowest part of the system, where the water settles and gradually rusts/corrodes the metal parts . Thus a change of fluid periodically, with complete flushing of the system with e.g. alcohol, is still advisable