Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Multimeter

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Multimeter

Post by New Dexter »

Can anyone recommend a good multimeter please? I need one that will be easy to use, not too complicated and which can be used on 12 and 24V vehicles. There's quite a range on Amazon but a personal recommendation should help me choose.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Multimeter

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

As you say, there are any number around. I can't remember the make of my own but it was cheap and cheerful and does all I need. Two things I'd make sure are on your must-have list before buying - audible continuity checking and auto-off.

When you're fumbling around looking for shorts or wiring faults, an audible beep that saves you having to keep checking the meter visually is a real plus.....and if you're anything like most of the rest of us, you'll forget to turn it off when you've finished, so the next time you need it it's got a flat battery. If it turns itself off - no problem.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I've had few different ones over the years and one of these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Draper-60 ... Sw8cNUNpad

in a slightly earlier incarnation (no backlight or hold) has proved surprisingly durable. I've used it mainly for 12 volt electrics and it has the audible continuity function. I will have been using the one I have for about 10 years and considering the times it will have fallen or been dropped, I'm pleased it is still working.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

The one I use at work (my own property) is from Maplin. It was about £25. The only other feature I would recommend is auto-ranging. In other words it will find the appropriate range for what you are measuring itself, whether it's voltage or resistance. The only thing I would criticize on mine is when you put it on voltage it defaults to AC, you have to press the function button to go to DC. Not sure if it's got audible continuity or not, but then I'm a bit deaf and a noisey workshop doesn't help. Maplin have a vast range and mine is now about 7 years old, I would think their range is different now.

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Having been in electronics all my working life, personally I very much prefer a simple analogue meter for working with car electrics, digital meters can be very confusing even for those who know and for anyone who does not read them correctly they can be a nightmare.

Maplins do a very reasonable analogue meter at £9.99, my personal meter is an ex government Avo model 8 big old bench meter but very robust and it has a cut out if you get it wrong and a bleeper for continuity which is as has been said a great help. Often available on ebay quite cheep but it is big.

I find a length of cable with a 12 volt bulb in a protected holder, an in the wing side light for instance, is also invaluable to detect a 12 volt presence.

Most modern analogue meters are as accurate as you need for car electrics, you don't really need anything to elaborate and usually the more complex the more likely you are to make a mistake.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you Gentlemen for all your replies. I managed to find a couple of old Gunson Testunes that were tucked away. They proved less than useless as I think they are beyond their useful life. I am trying to measure the resistance of some 12V coils for my Land Rover. It seems that points distributors are more flexible as to their tolerance of coil resistance. Electronic distributors are not. It will start on the points distributor but not the new electronic one and it's beginning to try my patience.
I have found some Avo meters. Some MK7 and others Mk8s. They look quite comprehensive in their range. I seem to recall that I have one, somewhere. I have tried the technique of not looking for it and then finding it, which works quite well usually but it hasn't this time.
I have found Maplin's site and their £9.99 models might well suit.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

As condensers in the distributor are subject to damp and decay, which meter is best to test with? Analogue or digital?

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

John Hitchins wrote:As condensers in the distributor are subject to damp and decay, which meter is best to test with? Analogue or digital?
Neither. A meter isn't going to tell you much about a condenser unless it's very leaky or short circuit.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

I put a new condenser in yesterday and it fired up first time but on the old points distributor.
Electronic distributors are fussier about the coil resistance. More than 3 ohms or less than 1.5 and it won't perform well. Hence the need to measure the low tension circuit.
I thought I would be doing the right thing by buying a new, electronic distributor but apparently not. Several members of the V8 forum have used them with success.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

John Hitchins wrote:As condensers in the distributor are subject to damp and decay, which meter is best to test with? Analogue or digital?
Digital, mine has a capacitance capability, Skytronics 600.465 and is auto ranging but appears no longer available, this will do all you want and more http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRUE-RMS-DIGI ... SwnDxUrCB2
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.