Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

AA Gold Member Benefits

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

AA Gold Member Benefits

Post by Phillmore »

Twenty seven years loyal membership and they try to sting me for £187 (auto renewal) I don't think so! Go on line and for a new joint membership application the quote is £129. So my twenty seven years loyal membership attracts a £58 penalty? The perks of being a Gold Member eh?

The obligatory annual phone call is made of course and the price drops to . . . . . . you've guessed it £129.

Now I have no problems with being a cynical grumpy old man, it's one of life's pleasures but they really do take the p*ss!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Re: AA Gold Member Benefits

Post by John Hitchins »

I had the same trouble, on TV today it shows 50% of people auto renew and fall into this trap. Every year the AA try it on (don't forget this is not really the old AA we know, run by Centrica I believe).
The TV prog Rip Off Britain said nowadays we must forget loyalty to firms and show around. The only firm I cant do that to is the BBC TV license.
I cancelled my direct debit to the AA which I have to use as you don't need to register a particular vehicle as I have a few. They dropped a third off after saying leaving after 40 years
Just shop around is the modern way to do everything. By the way Age UK was the worst for fleecing the older person who probably does not have internet access.

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
It may be worth checking your classic insurance. I have 6 cars with Peter James and their deal includes break down coverage both in the UK and the Continent. Currently it is with the AA but does not include home start on the 4 classics. I was a member of the RAC from the mid 60's until I found them useless in France but also it's like a lot of insurance these days that you end up covered on more than 1 policy. On a rainy day read the small print but be warned you may lose the will to live.
Regards
Colin

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The RAC are the same. Both last year and this year they've sent me a fairly steep renewal premium and a phone call has been necessary to reduce the price to exactly the same as the year before. Unfortunately it is necessary to take action with various companies to avoid their rip off methods, which is a bit of a shame as it sours the relationship somewhat.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I have personal cover with Green Flag for £56 - covers me and my partner in whatever car either of us are driving.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Had exactly the same trouble with the AA - but it is endemic of the rip-off society we have become.

They hiked my renewal premium saying what I paid last year was an "introductory" offer - so I said cancel my membership and I'll rejoin as a new member. Three nano-seconds later my renewal was reduced to the original amount.

Loyalty - whats thats supposed to mean?

Your not a person to these people (including banks, insurance companies and the like) - your a string of bytes stored in a computer.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes I threatened to leave and rejoin last year with the same result. Still annoying though having to do it every year.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

What do people think is the best service? I have had great service with the AA the few times I have needed them but hate the annual bargaining with their "try on" renewal.
I was not aware Green Flag allows any car now, years back you had to state the car registration of the car covered. We classic car people normally have a few cars so the AA cover is great for any car even if a passenger.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi John,

Its really down to what you require - but ponder on this!

With an "old car" I believe all you need is a relay service from wherever you break down (although Daimlers don't breakdown - they stop for adjustments) as no garage they would otherwise take you to will know diddly-squat about your car. Hence I go for A.A. relay.

Most of the "bolt-on" breakdown cover options added to your insurance can be fraught with hidden danger in the small print, and I took up the crudlge with a number of the premium (back of D.M.) insurers on this point.

The major on offers numerous options if you breakdown, vis:

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

sorry about that folks - I must have pressed the wrong key and posted before I'd finished!

As I was saying, the "options" in the event of a breakdown were:
a) One hour roadside work by a mechanic.
b) tow to nearest garage.
c) Overnight accommodation for four adults up to a limiing amount.
d) Transport your car to wherever you wish.

Great - until you read the small print in another section which says "We reserve the right to choose the option"

So check what your policy actually says.