Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

heat protecting fuel pipes

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: heat protecting fuel pipes

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, my Lanchester is fine most of the time, with frequent 40+ mile round trips almost being the "norm"' but after progressing up the hill from Ilchester into Yeovil, and taking a couple of slow turns to my home street, as I slow down to approach my home, the engine invariably faulters , this I put down to "Heat Soak" .
The strange thing is though, that the hill out of Lyme Regis, is an even longer hill, which ends at a "T" junction, onto a busy main road, and have never any problems with the engine faltering , so who knows what the answer really is ???
I have heard that adding some paraffin to the petrol can reduce vaporisation, what does the " team" think ??

Cheers Al

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: heat protecting fuel pipes

Post by Fossil »

Never, ever, ever put paraffin in your tank: it does not alter the vaporisation of fuel because the latter is related purely to the fractions of petrol that are intrinsically most likely to vaporise first when heated, and which are completely unaltered by the addition of the paraffin. Also and perhaps more importantly it can cause pinking under load, or at least it did that to my Century when I stupidly did it, and that took a surpisingly long time to disappear. However thankfully it did eventually and the machine runs very well now.

I think that a red rotor arm cured the problem of faltering when hot.

Cheers

Geoff