Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Millers Flushing Oil

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Mark Bullen

Millers Flushing Oil

Post by Mark Bullen »

I'm going to do an oil change and the last one possibly used a normal multigrade oil, has anyone any experience of the Millers Flushing Oil before I then use their Golden Film SAE30 engine oil. Does it cause any problems disturbing years of potential build-up, have you needed to remove the sump to clean out?
Thanks very much
Mark

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Millers Flushing Oil

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Mark, It depends the condition of your engine as to whether you decide to use Flushing Oil, you may just cause more problems for yourself as the flushing oil may release large particles to move and actually block the oil passages .
Most modern oils already contain a small amount out of additives to keep the system clean, but if you are concerned that your engine may be harbouring a lot of sludge etc in the sump, then perhaps best to remove and clean it out first as you stated.
No doubt , other more informed people my give a differing opinion .

Best wishes, A'l

1949startinghandle

Post by 1949startinghandle »

I am wondering about this as well, I changed the oil when I bought the LJ200, "classic" type 50 is now in it but already has turned quite black. Another thing with ancient motors, the engine uses a LOT of oil so it is constantly being renewed. I have had the filter changed as well. I once used a product, you added it to the engine and then drove 5 -10 miles, then drained the oil , and that cleared a LOT of old stuff out, that was however on another car (Silver Shadow)

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

My only experience of using flushing oil was on a Rover SD1 many years ago. Before I flushed, the car had no oil leaks but afterwards it had several! Conclusion? . . . . It works but it may not be the result you are looking for?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

If you are dubious about flushing oil releasing debris from the oilways why not just use your regular grade of oil and change the oil and filter every 500 or 1000 miles. This should over the course of time clean out the dirt.

I suggested this to someone who had an old Ford Pop. He started the process but sold the car after an offer he couldn't refuse so I can't report the results.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Mark Bullen

Post by Mark Bullen »

Thank you all for your input and I will forget the Flushing Oil and change more regularly as that seems to be a safer solution. Also it saves changing the sump gasket as I would have removed that and cleaned out at the same time. Sump gaskets not seemingly readily available.