Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Another Insurance Scam???

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Another Insurance Scam???

Post by Stan Thomas »

Just received my insurance renewal docs - and note in the small print there is now an excess of £200 to pay if I choose to nominate a repairer other than the one they designate.

Just contemplate the implications of that!

Kbeal

Re: Another Insurance Scam???

Post by Kbeal »

Who is your insurer?

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Esure.

faeton

Another ploy [scam]

Post by faeton »

I have read that some insurance companies are removing the right to drive other peoples cars on your own insurance. apparently this is a new ploy hidden in the small print.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I had this a few years ago, when I phoned and asked why they said it wasn't included anymore. I said it was a facility I wanted so they put it back on.......for FREE, and it's been there ever since.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

faeton

Post by faeton »

Another Ploy [scam] I have been told about , Speeders sometimes have the option of doing a police awareness course instead of a fine and points , Some insurance companies are no longer recognising this and are loading the premiums , Admiral is one company. I had a round trip of 400 miles and had to pay to attend one of these courses. Later along with hundreds of others had an apology and refund as someone proved the camera was wrongly sited .

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Usually, you can attend an "awareness" course locally - but if you were forced to travel 400 miles to attend one not at your own volition, you can sue the appropriate authority in the small claims court for your costs if your apprehension has been overturned.

But back to insurance "scams". I had a chap who had been refused indemnity after an accident because he had not answered "no" to the question "Have you ever had any criminal convictions". (He had been done for burgulary ten years previous). So they lost that one!!

The insurance companies cannot in law act upon this question, as under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, no-one is required to disclose (even under police questioning) previous convictions once they are time-spent (there are various time-limit bands) unless they are VERY serious.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

I recently had a renewal quote from Direct Line with the usual words " don't need to anything we will just steal your money" on my Transit. I have been with them many years for £380, I rang and cancelled as on their site even now it says we can ensure any van for £180 per year. I let my insurance lapse for one day and applied back quoting the new business price and got it. I saved £200 on one phone call. Insurance is a scam relying on 50% of people just paying up every year never challenging.

faeton

Post by faeton »

I did challenge the need to travel to take the awareness course Stan. There were courses run within a few miles of my home . It appears Dorset use this as a cash cow and insisted on making people travel ,in fact there were three people from my area on the same course , so much for saving the planet.