Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Car Trunk Adhesive

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Car Trunk Adhesive

Post by Stan Thomas »

I want to recover my car trunk as a winter project - but cannot get any supplier to actuall recommend a suitable truly waterproof adhesive which will glue leathercloth onto the existing leathercloth.

Apart from being waterproof, it also needs to be what is termed "high temperature" - presumably because of outdoor summer heat.

Ideally, I would prefer an adhesive other than the "contact" type - to provide an opportunity to manuevre and adjust the covering as I procced.

Any suggestions or recommendations lads?

Galdog

Re: Car Trunk Adhesive

Post by Galdog »

Hi Stan,
I would try Dunlop SN 1358 manufactured by Alpha adhesives its a rubber based adhesive system which has been used for many years in the automotive interiors industry.

I would recommend applying to both surfaces with an old credit card type piece of flat plastic working quickly.

This adhesive will allow a degree of correction time, if the fabric is placed incorrectly.

I would also recommend that you staple the material under the base, and hidden return edges.

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,
Paul

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Car Trunk Adhesive

Post by Stan Thomas »

Thanks for your advice Paul, will do - except I'll spread the adhesive with my current credit card given the amount left in my account through running a sleeve valve.