Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Starting in damp weather

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Starting in damp weather

Post by NickDeAth »

How about putting a vent hole low down at one end of the garage (the gap under the door might do) and one of those wind driven extractors like you see on vans carrying flammable gases on the roof the other end. Then you would get a flow of air through the garage and hopefully reduce the condensation.

Just an idea.

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Dobbinridesagain
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Dobbinridesagain »

A few days ago it was so cold in my garage that there was condensation inside the windows. Everything felt clammy. The display screen on the phone was fritzed.
The main doors are fairly draughty but there's no gap elsewhere to permit a through draught.
I need to put in a high vent to promote some airflow.
Glad it doesn't happen too often.

Ivor

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

In Johns Case I would buy a Carcoon plastic balloon capsule which with a small fan running should cure this problem and not too expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airflow-Airch ... Sw6DtYUH~G

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

John Hitchins wrote:In Johns Case I would buy a Carcoon plastic balloon capsule which with a small fan running should cure this problem and not too expensive.
I can understand that airflow helps reduce condensation, but blowing damp misty air into the cocoon seems counter-intuitive. I'd prefer to drive the car with a hot engine into the cocoon and seal it up!

I've got a small garage with low headroom so I may not be able to find a cocoon that fits.

Forty five years ago I used to park in the street and only used the car at weekends, but never had a problem then. People often say that parking in the street where a car gets good ventilation is better than covering it up, but I would prefer to keep it away from rain and damp leaves, etc.

I think the latest problem was because we had a damp spell, then -8 degrees C which probably froze the condensation, then more very foggy weather. I'll run the car every few days until I find a better solution. It was OK the last two winters just using the car every weekend.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

John-B wrote:
John Hitchins wrote:In Johns Case I would buy a Carcoon plastic balloon capsule which with a small fan running should cure this problem and not too expensive.
I can understand that airflow helps reduce condensation, but blowing damp misty air into the cocoon seems counter-intuitive. I'd prefer to drive the car with a hot engine into the cocoon and seal it up!
That's not how it works - driving a car in 'hot' and sealing it up is probably the worst thing you can do!
Using a 'Carcoon', once the initial drying phase is complete the system recirculates only the air within the sealed enclosure, so no further humid air is introduced - see here; they do work quite well. For a car garaged during winter but still used occasionally the indoor 'Veloce' type is probably the most practical.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

There is a gap about half an inch under my garage door and at the other end is a window which I keep on ventilate. This keeps a current of air through the garage.
The Central heating boiler is mounted on the rear wall this may give a little heat but the flat roof is only chipboard panels with felt on top. I never notice any dampness in the garage. Am considering putting some insulate under the roof panels.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

If you go back to my previous post where I commented about washing on the line! you are effectively saying the same thing John. Leaving a car out in the windy street was often better than putting it into a garage. If you arrived home on a wet night and put the car in the garage, next morning you would drive out a still wet car. In the meantime, all the cars that were left out overnight are now dry. This is down to airflow. In your garage, there is no (or little) airflow and there is a limit to how much moisture the air can hold and this varies with temperature. The Carcoons work, and work well. It does seem counter intuitive to blow in air from the damp outside, but they do work. Even the outdoor ones which have the whole world on the outside and are exposed to rain and wind and slush, snow and hail.
You can probably just about get away with a Size 3 Regular - Length 425cm, Width 160cm, Height 169cm. If that height is too much, Carcoon will do special heights for you.
P.S. I have no association with Carcoon, I just have an outdoor one for one of my cars for the last 2 years and it's been perfect.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

It may be over the top to suggest but would a Carcoon with a domestic house dehumidifier inside work? The machine extracts and holds water up to half a gallon to dispose of. Just a thought.

faeton

Post by faeton »

For years I had a problem with the clutch sticking even after a few weeks . I hate to tempt fate but my new garage seem to stay dry , the garage door is sealed and I have not had the problem for a long time , I keep some old carpet on the floor which seems to help. On my boat I keep a very small tubular heater in the engine compartment , this keeps the condensation from forming.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I think a carcoon would be the way to go. I can also recommend Ferrosol from Bilt Hamber rather than WDS40, PLusgas or anything else - it is really good stuff.