Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Do I need to SORN ?

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
1949startinghandle

Re: Do I need to SORN ?

Post by 1949startinghandle »

Why anyone would SORN a car that needs no MOT or tax is beyond me. I have never SORN'd a vehicle , what if I needed to move it from the garage, even for a few minutes? That would be when the police came by or some person drives into the car. It isn't worth the money or bother

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Do I need to SORN ?

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

If an owner intends to take his or her car off the road for an extended period then it may pay to reduce their insurance to cover theft and mishap only while it is laid up. Since this would not provide the minimum third party cover required by law for road use the owner could still be breaking the law even if the car tax is not due, unless they have declared a SORN. Tax exempt vehicles are required to apply for tax annually although they pay nothing. If the tax is not due and a SORN has not been declared the car is assumed to be roadworthy and therefore requires road legal insurance. If the tax is due (and even if they pay nothing) then the owner must apply for it or declare a SORN. If they apply for it they must then demonstrate that they have road legal insurance.

If laying a car up for some time the most prudent course would seem to be to declare a SORN and reduce the insurance cover to theft and mishap only, which many Insurers will provide.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".