Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cleaning bearing surfaces

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Cleaning bearing surfaces

Post by ranald »

Hello, What should I use to clean crankshaft journals and white metal bearing surfaces? Thanks

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Cleaning bearing surfaces

Post by Stan Thomas »

Can you qualify if you have just dismantled an engine, or the crank and con rods have been in a dismantled state for some time?

If the latter, the crank journals can be polished with very fine emery tape - but due to the softness of the white metal, do not use any abraisives other than perhaps a very fine light treatment using 0000 grade wire wool soaked in parrafin.

That said, let me have more detail as to why the crank needs cleaning.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Stan, I have just dismantled everything. I want to make sure everything is scrupulously clean before I reassemble. Probably a lint free cloth and parrafin will suffice?

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

When we rebuilt the DMU engines we used 1000 grit wet and dry with Fairy Liquid on the bearing surfaces. (other washing up liquids are available )
Normal for Norfolk

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Ranald,

Yes that would be fine - but do check the oil drillings in the crank are clean (also the con rods if they are drilled to lubricate the gudgeon pins) a point often missed!!