Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Seized Pistons

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Seized Pistons

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, I have in my possession an LA 11(1444 cc) short engine that had been stored in a damp garage, which has resulted in Three out of the Four Pistons being seized in their respective bores.
They have been soaking in a mixture of Diesel & WD40, for over a month now, with only one seemingly allowing the " mixture " down past the Rings, I have even tried applying heat by means of a hot air gun, ( with the resulting smoke of course!!) .
Apart from removing the Crankshaft which would probably be the best option, any further ideas to enable me to free them would be gratefully accepted,

Cheers A'l

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Seized Pistons

Post by NickDeAth »

Leave it for another month!

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Try Coca cola - I was just going to say Coke but thought the better of it. It has great metal cleaning properties and pouring some onto the piston tops and letting it seep down may help.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I can't understand why you would not want to take the crank out and thoroughly inspect all aspects of the stripped unit. If the pistons are as seized as you say then the crank etc will surly be just as bad !
Strip the lot and use a big hammer and a piece of would to thump the pistons out.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Try soaking the cylinders in a 50:50 mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. I read an article comparing various penetrants and this was supposed to be the most effective.

Trevor

Dobbinridesagain
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Dobbinridesagain »

Plusgas is a more effective rust penetrant than WD40.

To change mixes of course, one would need to remove the previous potion.

Ivor

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Chaps, thanks for all of your suggestions, and yes, I cetainly do intend to strip down this short motor completely.
The strange thing is, that although there seems to be little or no Bore wear, the Camshaft looks to be in a pretty poor state, fortunately, I happen to have a spare that is in almost "as new" condition.
I will try the Coca-Cola option, just because I have some in "stock" , and Colin, I will of course remove the Crankshaft, to enable me to "persuade " those Pistons to move !!

Cheers A'l