Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Another 'continuation'!

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Another 'continuation'!

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

As I'm sure most of you will have noticed, the buoyancy of the Classic Car market has led a number of manufacturers to start producing 'Continuation' versions of some of their earlier models. As well as numerous replicas, 'genuine' AC Cobras seem to have been in almost continuous production since their inception. Among the major manufacturers entering the market Ford, with their recent GT40, have now been joined by promises from Jaguar to produce continuations of the Lightweight E-Type and the XK SS and Aston Martin the DB4 GT. I recently came across one of the less likely candidates for continuation in the form of a real blast from the past - the Allard JR.
1953AllardJR_02_1500.jpg
Doubtless many of you will remember the cars produced by Sidney Allard in the immediate post-war years, usually powered by large american V8's. Although car production ceased in 1958, Allard Sports Cars is alive and well and still very much a family firm. Now located in Gloucester rather than South London, Allard have diversified and now produce a range of aluminium auto parts such as radiators, intercoolers header tanks etc.

I recently acquired an alloy rad. for my SP which, due to some non-original features, needed the mounting lugs re-positioned and a drain plug boss added. I contacted Allard Aluminium Products and Lloyd Allard (grandson of Sidney) did an excellent job of welding on the new parts...
1-P1280344.JPG
1-P1280347.JPG
Anyway, in the workshop was the prototype JR under construction, complete with Cadillac V8 (which interestingly is alleged to have influenced Edward Turner in the design of the Daimler V8). Lloyd's workmanship exhibited in the new car is truly remarkable and one has to hope the venture meets with success when it debuts in May this year.

There's a description of the 'new' car here
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Another 'continuation'!

Post by Christopher Storey »

I rather think It was the Chrysler hemi head, not a Cadillac, which formed part of the basis of Turner's design . The GM cars were very conventional in engine design at that time

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Christopher Storey wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:53 am I rather think It was the Chrysler hemi head, not a Cadillac, which formed part of the basis of Turner's design . The GM cars were very conventional in engine design at that time
Certainly Turner would have been aware of the early Chrysler Hemi. Their first 'Hemi' V8 - the FirePower - was in production in the '50s when Turner was formulating the Daimler V8, although of necessity there will be a lot of design commonality between any single camshaft, pushrod and rocker valve actuation, hemi head design.

I take my evidence for the Cadillac influence from page 20 of Brian Long's SP 250 book, extract quoted here...

Cadillac was recognised as having one of the finest V8 engines in production, so cribbing one or two ideas from the American Company was sensible one, especially as V8 engines were hardly common in Europe at that time...........So it was that the bottom end of the Daimler V8 was based largely on Cadillac practice, while the heads and combustion chambers were designed around something much nearer to home.

...and from 'Triumph Motorcycles: A century of Passion' by Lindsay Brooke, extract quoted here...

It (the Turner V8) was a gem. Turner loved Cadillacs, and he and Wickes used Cadillac's renowned ohv-V8 as their inspiration for much of the Daimler engine. The main difference was in the cylinder heads which closely resembled early Chrysler Hemi-V8 heads. However the Daimler heads were aluminium and their hemispherical combustion chambers and valve geometry were copied from Triumph's 650-cc Thunderbird.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I'm afraid I cannot agree with Brian Long. And if, indeed, it was Cadillac's bottom end which was copied, which frankly I doubt , and it was to be admired , then it is strange that the weakest features of Turner's engine are at the bottom end, particularly the small and narrow main bearings . Chacun a son gout....

PS I suppose that it is possible that Turner tried to scale the bottom end of the Cadillac down ( the smallest was 5 litres) and that that was the source of the trouble, but the Daimler is heavily oversquare whereas the Cadillacs were almost square throughout their lifespan, getting ever larger until the final versions were nearly 8 litres !