Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Bush removal -Bishops Steering Box

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Bush removal -Bishops Steering Box

Post by ranald »

Help! I'm struggling to remove the rocker shaft bush from my steering box. See attached diagram (part 42). I need to pull it out and cannot find a way of securing my puller behind the bush. I have moved the bush slightly in the wrong direction (i.e. into the box) in the hope it might then be easier to move in the correct direction. Hope this makes sense.
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Bush removal -Bishops Steering Box

Post by NickDeAth »

Can get a punch in from the other side? If you don't need to re-use the bush that is. Or a suit able sized washer from the other (inner side) then punch on that.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Nick, Thanks for your reply. The punch seems like my only option. I don't mind damaging the bush but i'm a bit nervous about stressing the box assembly which is located in an alloy casting on the chassis. Maybe I will have to look at bracing the box in some way to take the force of the hammering. Ranald

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Ranald,

A "safer" but more long-winded way is to use a washer as Nick suggests, but position a piece of tube over the casing and then pass a long bolt through so by tightening the nut, it acts as an extractor.

Another tip if I may if you are turning up another bush is to make it to dead size for the shaft but a slide fit into the casing - then lock-tight it into place with Loctite 638 or similar. This avoids "shrinkage" of the bush when driven into the casing, then having to prat about with reamers etc.

Loctight is magnificent stuff - provided no high temeratures in operation are involved.

Hope this helps.

P.S.
My steering wanders - wanders when its going to get greased!

Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Can you get a socket onto the end of the bush? If so, put a bolt through the socket and something on the other end so that as you tighten the bolt it pushes the socket and hence the bush out of the housing. I haven't explained this very well but I hope you get the idea.

Trevor

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Thanks for replies. My problem is that the design of the steering box does not allow me to get a washer of sufficient diameter behind the bush. I have tried a washer of sufficient diameter and then filed 2 flat edges (enough to get it in), but that didn't work. I am thinking about having a split collet made (not sure if that is the correct term). Has anyone done this job on this steering box before? Thanks

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Thanks for replies. My problem is that the design of the steering box does not allow me to get a washer of sufficient diameter behind the bush. I have tried a washer of sufficient diameter and then filed 2 flat edges (enough to get it in), but that didn't work. I am thinking about having a split collet made (not sure if that is the correct term). Has anyone done this job on this steering box before? Thanks

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, you could use a Hacksaw Blade ( short length with File Handle attached) cut a couple of slots 180 deg to each other, then collapse the bush into itself ...".......just a thought ???

Cheers A'l

Ps. May be a bit tedious, but I have used this method more than once and it does work . :D :D

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi Al, A hacksaw would not work as the back of the bush fits against the housing. If you look carefully at the cross-section diagram , you will see what I mean. Anyway, the good news is that it is now out! I attach a photograph of what I came up with. If anyone else wants to remove the bush from a Bishops type steering box, I can recommend this method.
IMG_1745.JPG

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi,Ranald, yes I did know that the Bush was up against the Casting, but as long as you have now managed to get the Blighter out, you can now move forward.

Best wishes, A'l :)