Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Type Approval

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Type Approval

Post by New Dexter »

I am sure some will be aware that motor vehicles required to be type approved before they can be used on a public road. Cars and vans imported here must have European TA which is why some Japanese and US cars have to take an IVA (was SVA) test.
However, it seems that the DVSA requires anyone who has "rebuilt a vehicle" or "rebuilt a classic vehicle" must take it to an IVA test.

One would presume that anyone doing a body off restoration on something like an SP would have to comply. On the email I received from .gov.uk this morning it doesn't gives details of how far a "rebuild" has to go before an IVA is required.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Type Approval

Post by Sydsmith »

A quick look at the DVLA site I could not find any reference to any recent change to the regulations, but it would appear that a rebuilt vehicle for which a registration retention application is made, must have a number of original features before the original number can be reinstated.

If the vehicle fails that criteria then an SVA test is required and a Q plate will be issued.

The main features are the original Body Chassis suspension etc.

I could not find anything which said that a body off rebuild was a candidate for an SVA as long as the finished vehicle retains the main features as above, and I assume that as long as a registration document is available for such a vehicle it would not need an SVA.

terryfrombury

Re: Type Approval

Post by terryfrombury »

If anything could be described as not fit for purpose, then the DVLA has to be somewhere up at the top of the list, so there is no way that I would ever ask them about anything!
However, just to add to this debate, my Special Sports rebuild is virtually complete - it was a full, body-off, last nut and bolt job. When I applied to the load of incompetents at Swansea I was told that I could not have the original Reg Number because I had no proof that the number and the car were associated, and I have to say that the DLOC were as supportive as a ................ in this discussion!
However, in relation to this topic, despite all the argument they issued a V5 for a "period" reg number for the relevant year without any problem - no need for any SVA.
Terry