Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Best drive . . . . surface?

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Best drive . . . . surface?

Post by Phillmore »

Despite a double garage my classic car 'collection' still spills onto the drive. The garage is used as a workshop so realistically some cars sit on the drive whilst not being driven. I use half covers to stop rain seeping past ancient window seals but am aware that moisture and damp will rise from below and aid the rusting problem underneath. My old tarmac drive is now in need of attention so to my question?

Which do you think is the best surface type to minimise rising damp?

1. Tarmac/block paving

2. Chippings.

It would seem to be a balance between drainage,percolation and evaporation?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Best drive . . . . surface?

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Andy, well we have a paving block Drive and it looks very nice, the only drawback is that it is not maintenance free, i.e. weeds , and the fact that it will need re- sanding at least onced a year, and of course, those oil stains will show up !!
Gravel, I would say is a No- no, this is primarily because it will hold the moisture
, and of course, it does get just about everywhere !
So, you've probably guessed that good old fashioned Tar. Mac would be the best option in my opinion.

Best wishes, A'l :? :)

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Thanks Al. You may well be right but I was considering doing the job myself which would leave just block paving or chippings. I was wondering whether chippings allowed the moisture to percolate into the ground and so evaporate less than paving? Or would it be trapped longer and cause more damp? Decisions decisions!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

And of course either way they would be black to camouflage the oil stains! :D
Andy

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I think that the type of surface won't make much difference, damp will come from the air underneath.

A carcoon https://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-airflow ... in-outdoor is probably the only answer, but they are expensive and it sounds as if you need several. They have a base mat which zips to the cover.

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
Around here if you want to change the surface of your drive you need planning permission. Something to do with flood risk and the surface allowing the water to seep through and not run off.
Regards
Colin

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I wonder if you can get brick weave in dark blue shiny non - porous engineering type brick?

Would solve the oil and other classic vehicle effluent problem............just soap and a hose..............

Just a thought.
Normal for Norfolk

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

We have brick weave paving, very pretty wife very pleased. BUT you dare not jack a car up on it!

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

And that's the biggest problem with chippings (despite being the cheapest option), jacking and axle stands etc will need wooden blocks and of course that dropped washer that takes two hours to find on a hard surface will be lost forever! Having said that it's just the ground moisture issue that I want to establish at the moment?
Andy

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

By chippings I presume you mean a type of gravel. From my experience gravel is a pain in the proverbial and if I had my time again it would be Tarmac or concrete for me.

Michael