Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

MOT Test Exemptions

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
terryfrombury

MOT Test Exemptions

Post by terryfrombury »

As I`m just about finally to put the Special Sports on the road (famous last blinking words!!!) I went to have a chat with my friendly neighbourhood MOT Station. Obviously the car is exempt, but I would like someone independent to go over the machine just to double check my work. The two questions which they raised (and to which they didn`t know the answers) were;
- if you take an exempt car for an MOT and it fails, is it then illegal to take it back home to work on it
- if you submit an exempt car for MOT, does that effectively nullify the exemption, meaning it has to be tested annually in future?

Any legal experts out there?????

Terry

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: MOT Test Exemptions

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I'm no legal expert but I believe that if you submit a MoT exempt vehicle for test, it cannot be failed. The tester can only issue a list of advisories on any faults found. Being exempt from MoT does not absolve the driver from the overriding requirements that the car must be fit for purpose and complying with legislation. These apply whether a car is exempt or not.

If you do receive a fault advisory it may well be that the vehicle is not fit for the road, but you are not legally precluded from driving it just as a result of the test; if however you are subsequently stopped by the police or involved in an accident, the condition of the car may lead to prosecution.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Easiest way round this one Terry is to forget all about the "actual" MoT and ask your garage man to do what we used to call a "Safety Check and Report", where the car's roadworthiness was checked prior to deciding whether to put it on sale or sell it to the trade!!

It included checks on brakes, lights, wipers, steering joints, holes in the floor etc....................

Cheers

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

The MOT garage I use offer a pre MOT check, which enables one to find any advisory or fail points without the mechanic logging on to the DVLA computer.

Have not done it for a couple of years but it's a useful service when you have done major work on a car.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I'm not sure they can log it onto the computer being exempt but as Vortex says it can't 'officially' fail.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

In answer to your second question - there isn't anything you can do in terms of having the car tested (whether one calls it an MoT or safety check or whatever) which will cause the car to lose its exempt status.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Thanks for the advice, guys!