Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wheel Finishing Detail

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Wheel Finishing Detail

Post by theoldman »

I'm getting down to a bit of detailed work on the Conquest now and having fitted the rimbellishers was wondering what to do about the valve caps.

Should I use plain plastic ones or metal ones? Should I get any old caps or try for the original "Schrader" ones?

Should I get a set of the ones with the forks on the end for extracting the valve, or just put one in the set of ordinary ones?

Thanks

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Simon Hyslop

Re: Wheel Finishing Detail

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Some thoughts. Personally I think the plastic caps let an otherwise good car down. However, I used to have to leave an older "daily runner" in a large car park when I took it to my work and couldn't get my preferred parking spot. Virtually every day in that car park at least two of my nice chrome caps disappeared so that's something to bear in mind. (You can get ones to put on beyond finger tight now)

Now to settle into my anorak. I don't think the hexagonal caps look good on cars. There's something clumsy looking about them except on MGs.

A lot of the plain caps for sale at places like Halfords are not long enough. They have hatch knurled grips rather than grooves and I'd rate them as so-so but not perfect. There are some of a similar pattern to be found which are a bit longer and they're fairly acceptable. I bought a bag of 100 last year for £12 or so and at that money, you can do alll your vehicles with them and give some away. They came from a tyre consumables wholesaler.

Regarding the valve core remover, one is enough and keep it on the spare. Their problem is that the sharp end catches on a chamois when drying off hubcaps or wheels.

The most original looking ones are the slightly longer chrome ones with a domed top and no knobble in the end of it. Someone has had sets on ebay for a while and they look pretty much the way they used to although from the photos maybe just slightly short but the ends are a better profile than many. Here's a link :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ayrtonuk/m.ht ... 7675.l2562
Last edited by Simon Hyslop on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

How about these...?
1-P1280391.JPG
;)
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

There are cheap sets on sale but the price goes up tomorrow April 2nd.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Concours tip:

If you use the valve caps with the end-prongs to remove the tyre valve, file the ends carefully so that when they are screwed on, all the slots follow the pitch circle of the wheel diameter.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hate to say it, Stan, and I truthfully don`t mean to be rude, but that`s the sort of reason why I gave up entering concours!
Terry

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

never heard of a wind-up then????

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

You were a day late for an April Fool Stan ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster