Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Adjustable webbing

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Adjustable webbing

Post by New Dexter »

I have been trying to find a way to lift items using a forklift but instead of lifting from underneath where the forks might either not be long enough, my home made extensions too deep or where either method might damage what I wish to lift.

I have the facility to make a frame that can be lifted by a forklift, where chains can be attached, lowered and wrapped around the item I wish to lift. However, in some cases the chains will need to be shortened so that the lift is level. I can buy chains with hooks on one end that wrap round a link to shorten the chain or it's possible to buy assemblies with shorteners built in.

The problem with steel chain is that while it might have the correct strength it damages the finished surface of what I wish to lift. I have approached a supplier of ratchet assemblies and while he can supply webbing with cam locks that grip the webbing so that it can be adjusted in length they are designed for load restraint only, not for any form of lifting.

Now I can buy slings and I have two of equal length that I attach to a structure, drape over the forks and then attach by using a G cramp in such a way that it cannot slip but this is a crude method. I have a 3000 kg sling but in some cases it's too long.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or sources for non-damaging items that would permit me to lift from above, rather than from underneath?

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Adjustable webbing

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Is it possible to have or make one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-500Kg-En ... 0830590816

then use short slings and D shackles gives you all sorts of adjustment , you can get chains which you can shorten which gives another choice but you may need more head height.

this is April fool joke i have been told just hope the next lift fails and falls on somebody without damage.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

As I typed the entry I suspected that someone might suspect this as being an April Fool's joke and who thought it was and advised Peter accordingly was VERY far from correct.
As for falling on someone's head that's not the suggestion I was looking for and not a very pleasant one either.
What had asked for were suggestions for using webbing that could be wrapped round the item to be lifted, thus not damaging the surface as chains would but also allowing the webbing to be lengthened or shortened to suit. Much the same way that one shortens the strap on a head torch

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Will have to inform the man who emailed me still no one has be hurt i hope , it is that time of year and i did think it was a long story for a April Fools joke just not the same as the valve cap saga.
Have seen the seat belt webbing used to lift car engines i think this might fail health and safety,made my own engine lifting beam and used 2 sizes of box works really well and allowed great movement for balance .
I bought a pack of shackles so if needed just add more one side , guess you could make your own belt buckle which is more or less how the adjustment is worked on those adjustable head torch straps.
Can we design and make some all the best ideas go to Dragons Den all the best Peter

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Does anyone recall the first television demonstration of the creation of a holographic image, broadcast by the Beeb on "Tomorrow's World" on 01 April 196X? Sorry I forget the year, I was in first year at Uni, so most likely was 66. I was convinced that it was a joke, no one in the Physics Department had a clue what I was referring to, but how wrong you can sometimes be.

Perhaps care should be taken over the choice of date for the presentation of complex matters to avoid 01 April sometimes?

Cheers

Geoff