Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Seized Piston Removal

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Seized Piston Removal

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Chaps, your thoughts please. I have recently acquired a spare short 1444cc engine which has been stored in a garage and had not been suitably protected against the elements.
I have manage to completely strip the engine save for Two Pistons that stubbornly refuse to move, I have soaked them with Diesel, for Two months, heated them with a blow lamp, soaked them in WD40, and almost anything I could think of.
I have even resorted to placing a hard round piece of timber into the bore so that it rested on the Piston Crown, and given them a beating with a Two pound Lump Hammer, and they still resolutely refuse to budge.
Your thoughts and suggestions, would be greatly appreciated .."..

Cheers A'l :D :D

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Seized Piston Removal

Post by NickDeAth »

From what you have done already it sounds was though the only thing left to try is a bigger hammer!

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Tried Coca Cola, Al??
Or Plus Gas?/
Normal for Norfolk

John Chatfield

Post by John Chatfield »

Hi A'l,
Well you certainly have been patient leaving it to soak for months, now I'm no guru so don't think I know the perfect answer but here is an off the wall idea. If you have tried to soak the pistons from the crown down you will have the most clearance for the liquid to run down the side of the piston but (there is always a but) if there is any carbon build up or similar gumming up the gap the liquid won't run down, so how about turning the block upside down and filling the piston skirt to just over the edge (so the liquid will hopefully run down the outside of the skirt) now the crazy bit... if you use a weak acid ie. coke-a-cola (other sickly sweet tooth rotting agents are available), white vinegar may also do, the reason you put an etching agent underneath the piston is hopefully the crank case has been sealed and therefore not had any reaction to the atmosphere causing corrosion etc to block any gaps or oil holes, so well as it running down the skirt to bore it will flow through the holes at the back of the oil rings and hopefully seep round and soften or dissolve any gum or thickened oil and may be eat away any rust, vinegar may prove best as it shouldn't leave traces of sugar. leave to soak.
keep an eye on it, after it has been given enough time to work invert block and either drive down with a wooden drift and lump hammer or preferably use a press, hope this helps.
Regards,
John

Bud

Post by Bud »

Al,

John's idea of inverting the block according to vertical alignment of the cylinder and wicking coke or the appropriate soaking fluids from the crank end of the piston is a very good idea. When it has soaked thoroughly, try to clock the piston in both directions with a dowel thru the base of the piston rod as well as push the piston back down from the top of the cylinder with your favorite blunt object.
Rotating will put a different force to the parts and may help brake it loose.
You can also try the heat bloom for the block area surrounding the affected piston top while inverted and then pour some cold water into the piston to hopefully pop it away from the cylinder sides.
Best of luck.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps thank's for the replies, yes I had thought about turning the Block upside down ,and that was about to be my next move, so I'll give it a try using Coke and see if that works. !!!
Will let you know how I get on in due course .
I might add, that even the Con Rods are partially seized. So that is a fair indication as to the state of the engine,but surprisingly, there seems to be very little wear in the cylinder bores .

Cheers A'l 😄😄

Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Try a 50:50 mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid instead of coke. It is supposed to be one of the most effective penetrants available.

Trevor

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Thanks, Trevor, not sure at this time, where I can purchase acetone, no doubt someone will advise in due course.

Cheers A'l :D :D :D

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Nail polish remover is acetone. I bought a 250ml plastic bottle somewhere, probably Tesco, for some car purpose as recommended on the old forum, but I can't remember what it was. To remove some sticky stuff I think. It may have been to remove road tar. It wasn't for my own nails. :D

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

John-B wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:21 pm Nail polish remover is acetone.
Some of it is, but these days a lot of it isn't. Acetone attacks the acrylic nails popular nowadays.

Coke and Acetone and auto transmission fluid have both proved effective at freeing seized parts, but I still find PlusGas hard to beat at liberating the really stubborn items.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".