Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Seized Piston Removal

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Johnsson

Re: Seized Piston Removal

Post by Johnsson »

In Australia you can buy acetone at any paint supplier.

Trevor

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, well I have a mixture of WD40. Diesel @ Cellulose thinners soaking at the moment . I shall see if I can find a bottle of acetone and give it a try .

Cheers A'l :D :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Well, I purchased 6 Bottles of Nail Polish remover, that contained Acetone, they also sell this product minus Acetone, so make sure that you get the right one!
Also purchased a Litre of Auto Transmission fluid, inverted the engine,after removal of the Cylinder Head Studs. ( another story I'm afraid!! :cry: ) , any house, poured the mixture onto the underside of the Two remaining Pistons a few days ago, but no sign of it penetrating past them yet , in fact the two substances did not appear to mix very well, this could of course be due to the fact that the Tesco Nail Polish remover was not pure Acetone.
They say patience is a virtue, we shall see."...................

Cheers A'l :D

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I wondered today how you were getting on with your pistons and thought of another tack you might try. After soaking for a couple of days one way up turn the engine over and give that side area sharp taps. Fill with your preferred release agent and repeat a few few days later the other way up. A bit long winded but might be worth a try.

While typing this I'm thinking "I bet he's already doing this"

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Well, the very latest is, I had inverted the Engine and filled the underside of both the seized Pistons with my " mixture",
On Friday, I attacked the Cylinder block with my Blow Lamp, and got the Block nice and hot, so much so, that the whole bloody lot cought fire!!! Well I let the contents burn for about five minutes, with the Smoke Alarm going nuts, and everything "bubbling " away quite nicely, before attacking it with my Co2 Fire extinguisher, before I not only upset my neighbours, but possibly burnt the garage down!
The next job will be soak up the remainder of the "mixture, turn the engine over , and try and " persuade " those damn Pistons to move, with the aid of a stout piece of wood and a Two pound lump hammer!!!
Even the Con Rods on Two of the Pistons are seized solid, ho-hum !!
To be continued..."................

Cheers A'l :D :D :D

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

You've had so much trouble with this engine, Al, will it be any use when you've got it loose?

It sounds as if it got so hot it welded together.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Forget the 2lb hammer Al, a nice piece of wood as big as the bore and a sledge hammer. Don't worry about the bores too much as they will need a rebore anyway.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Colin, had exactly the same conversation, with my old mate Geoff Millington this afternoon, whilst attending a Classic Car meet at Hazelbury Miil near Crewkerne .

Cheers Al :) :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

About to enlist the help of an effing great SledgeHammer and a nice stout piece of Wood, It will either make of break the Bl...y thing!!

Cheers A'l :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

GJT

Post by GJT »

.....and then what happened ?