Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

A mute point with the DVLA

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

A mute point with the DVLA

Post by Stan Thomas »

I friend of mine has run foul of the Tax Gestapo insofar as they have threatened him with a fine of up to £1000 because he bought a "barn find" and collected it with a trailer to commence a long-term restoration.

Apparently, what he overlooked was that although you can no longer transfer the road-fund licence if you sell a vehicle, it also applies to a vehicle on SORN - which the old owner (keeper) must surrender, and the new owner must apply for a-new.

in that vein, I also find it incredulous that no-one or the motoring organisations appear to have has picked up and remonstrated that when a vehicle is sold on, you can only receive a refund of unexpired R.F.L. for the forthcoming completed months - whilst the new owner must tax the car from the start of the month to drive it away.

Effectively therefore, the DVLA potentially get paid "double revenue" for a months R.F.L. for every taxed secondhand car sold.

We really do stand for the five-card-trick in this country.

Like being in the EU really.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: A mute point with the DVLA

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

There was a lot of publicity at the time these new regulations were introduced - both in the press and by the motoring organisations. They highlighted the non-transferability of both the VED and a SORN and were obviously particularly enraged - on our behalf - at the potential loss of refunded VED as it is only claimable for complete unused months.

If you thought that was sneaky, just wait for the legislation relating to new cars in 2017.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Not many of our classics will fall foul of the tax as they have no VED liability after 1973, a barn find will probably not be Sorned either, probably fallen off the registration data base, just keep your mouth shut and restore it. Keep the sales receipt in a safe place with the log book of whatever type it came with
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

rovermorris999

Post by rovermorris999 »

Although classics registered before 1st Jan 1976 (it's now a 40 year rolling date) pay no VED they still have to apply for 'free' VED or be SORN. Failure to do so is an offence. You don't need SORN if you are keeping the vehicle off the road and untaxed for less than 14 days or your vehicle was last taxed before 31 January 1998.
If your car is taxed it must also be insured.
Also note that if you have a car that becomes historic by virtue of the qualifying date moving forward by one year each year, you have to apply for historic status, it doesn't happen automatically. Nor I believe do DVLA refund any VED which has been paid unnecessarily. So if your car became historic on 1st January and you waited until your tax was due later in the year to declare the new status, you will have gifted the DVLA some money.
Lots of ways to be caught!

Redcap
Mark the Miltary Man
Mark the Miltary Man

Post by Redcap »

You have to assert your rights when asking for a refund ...something I learned last year when I part-exchanged a car with a dealer for another used car. Because I hadn't cancelled the direct debit mandate for a car I drove into the dealership on 31 July, DVLA claimed its August road-tax (on 1 August). Anticipating a refund - because all their literature says that refunds are automatic for complete months but are issued some weeks later - I did nothing for 6 weeks. When I emailed to ask for the refund, I was told that the delay was likely down to a technical glitch and to wait some more. After 8 weeks, I tried and was then told several times that I wasn't owed anything because I must have driven the car in August so owed tax for that month.

It took several reminders that I'd last driven my old car on 31 July, the day I took it into a dealership - where I'd used a computer to claim ownership of my new car and to start its tax regime which, of course, had to be for the complete month of July as well as for August. DVLA staff clearly expected me to pay tax for two cars for two months (ie., both the old car for July and August and then its replacement, also, for July and August). I did, eventually, receive a refund for the old car for August only. Don't, in such circumstances, give up. And if absolutely sure you'll be handing a car in just before the end of a month, think about cancelling the direct debit mandate to head-off DVLA's likely wrong collection of the following month. Ideally, also, think about getting a lift or using a taxi to go for your new car on the 1st day of the new month. Hope this makes sense and is of some use!

Mark

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

rovermorris999 wrote:Although classics registered before 1st Jan 1976 (it's now a 40 year rolling date) pay no VED they still have to apply for 'free' VED or be SORN. Failure to do so is an offence. You don't need SORN if you are keeping the vehicle off the road and untaxed for less than 14 days or your vehicle was last taxed before 31 January 1998.

That's not the case anymore as I recently purchased a vehicle that has not been taxed since 1973 and as when I purchased it and the V5c was updated I was sent a fine for not taxing or declaring sorn on the vehicle, when I told the DVLA that it had not been taxed since 1973 so it did not need to be sorned this was their reply:-
" please note that when purchasing a vehicle from a seller that the tax is now non transferable so you must tax the vehicle immediately upon purchase, this you did not do so therefore you must pay the fine stated."
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

rovermorris999

Post by rovermorris999 »

Yes, that's the case since the last change in the rules. Up to then, if the car met the criteria above then the SORN wasn't needed. At least SORN doesn't need to be renewed now.
DVLA says ''You must make a SORN in any of the following situations:

your vehicle isn’t taxed
your vehicle isn’t insured (even for a short time, eg there’s a delay renewing your policy)
you want to break a vehicle down for parts before you scrap it
you buy a vehicle and want to keep it off the road (you can’t transfer a SORN from the previous keeper)
You don’t need to make a SORN if you’ve been sent a V11 reminder letter for a vehicle you’ve already sold.''

I wonder how quickly they'd jump on anyone who had a brief gap in insurance?

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Quickly as I have found
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

It is my view the DVLA will eventually make an "administation charge" for issuing a SORN.