Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Body removal

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Roark

Body removal

Post by Roark »

If I wished to remove the body from the chassis of a coach built Daimler how difficult would it be? Obviously there would be the need to disconnect every cable that could be seen as well as all pipes.
I can imagine that the steering column would have to be removed too. The doors would have to be secured in the closed position before any lifting could take place but are there any other pitfalls/caveats to consider?

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Body removal

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi John,
Have a look at the National Museum of Australia blog site for the Royal Tour DE restoration, there is a video of the lifting of the body from the chassis.
Cheers
Peter Grant

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

http://nma.gov.au/blogs/daimler/

Blog is not easy to find, here is the link.

Roark

Post by Roark »

Thank you for your comments gentlemen and the link to the Australian site. However, unless I have not looked carefully enough, they do not mention how they removed the body.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

I spoke to someone at the RR rally last month and asked him how he and his team removed bodies. Apparently it involved scaffold poles and wind down jacks. It has to be done very slowly and when refitting the body that is the more important part. If done slowly and carefully it means that the body/door gaps can be maintained and corrected if necessary.
I asked him how long the process would take and he said, without batting anything, "About twelve hours". Crikey!
I suppose it is necessary to find the fixing points, ensure all bolts are released and then lift it off carefully. It would appear, from the Australian blog, that they use gantries. I have just one so I am in the process of making an adjustable frame with lifting points to enable me to lift anything off anything else. Well, that's part of the idea.