Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dirty steering wheel

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Dirty steering wheel

Post by New Dexter »

I am sure I am not the only one who owns/has driven a car with a plastic/Bluemells steering wheel that has gained a great deal of dirt accrued by the perspiration of the owner's hands.
I climbed into one of my vehicles yesterday and found the wheel to extremely sticky and then I noticed that my hands were so dirty that they were black with dirt.
I tried to remove the muck by using cellulose thinners and that wasn't successful. I tried Comma's engine degreaser with the same lack of success. This morning, manoeuvring the vehicle and finding the wheel to be damp, rather than have filthy hands, I used latex gloves and even they looked somewhat grubby.
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the dirt?

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Dirty steering wheel

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, not sure why you attacked your Steering Wheel with such strong solvents, because they would certainly have a detrimental effect on the surface. Perhaps, a better idea is to use some neat washing up liquid and gently clean using a nail brush.
after all, most of the "Dirt" would have come from the form of body oils already present in your hands etc,so give it a try, and then give the Steering Wheel a nice coat of Wax polish, that should revive it.

Cheers A'l :D

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Cellulose thinners and plastic is not a good combination unless you want your steering wheel to look like a piece of Salvador Dali art :) . As Al says I'd go for a mild detergent and perhaps a blunt wooden scraper.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you gentlemen. I shall pinch the washing up liquid from the kitchen and see what happens.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Also steal from the kitchen one of those sponges with the scotchbrite on one side - always works for me, together with my el cheapo Lidl washing up liquid!!! (other washing up liquids are available.........)

Neil
Normal for Norfolk