Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

jag engine

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
swcoulthurst

jag engine

Post by swcoulthurst »

Well in order to keep the other one original with matching numbers, I'm considering an Jag straight 6 engine and box.

Anyone got any views on this.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: jag engine

Post by Sydsmith »

Here is my two penuth for what it is worth.

Classic car values depend on a lot of things, from a basic right price for a bog standard model, many things encourage buyers and others put buyers off.

The main things that will encourage buyers is originality,original engine, original colour,original registration number, then there is rarity.

The main thing that put folks off, is age related reg number, none original but correct engine and drive train, clear variation to the original colour, but most of all a totally wrong engine and drive train.

That having been said, there are exceptions to the rule and the SP250 is a classic example.

Each to his own and as long as an owner enjoys the changes that have been made, whats wrong with that? Just as long as they don't expect top dollar for the finished article.

So in my opinion the best solution is to try to find the correct engine and drive train.

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Thanks Syd.

I have tried to find correct engine and box but haven,t had any luck. Your points made are the reason for not stripping the other. 1 owner with matching numbers and correct number plate.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Stuart, my 15 came with an age related number, it had been for sale for almost a year, I saw it first on the forum and investigated the owner and the car.

Cut a long story short I went to see it with my rose coloured glasses on and it was love at first sight so I made a silly offer for it, which was instantly refused , so I said I would think about it and ring in the morning.

The following morning having slept on it I rang to say I would not be improving my offer to be greeted by the vendor who said thank goodness you rang, my wife played hell with me for not accepting my and hasn't spoken to me since, you can have it for your offer, and the rest is history as they say, it is a really great motor and despite a lot of work to make it perfect I am really chuffed and could not care less about the age related number. Syd