Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Hammerite.

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Robdavies

Hammerite.

Post by Robdavies »

Hello I have some painting to do, chassis and parts, axels, brake rods, wheel hubs and so on. Where I live there isn't much access to paint choices, basically it's car touch up spray cans, oil based domestic paint with a good primer or Hammerite. Which would be the best way forward do you think? It's a 30s car so it's lasted 80 years with what they slapped on but I'd like to do the best I can with what's available. Thanks for looking rob.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Hammerite.

Post by Sydsmith »

Rob.
Hammerite is a good paint I have used it successfully on gates and other out door metal, but I used it for a trailer chassis some years ago and it just did not last. As they suggest on the tin I cleaned the chassis back to shiny metal and painted two coats on one after the other a couple of hours apart, but within five years it was peeling.

I stripped my SP chassis to shiny metal ten years ago, treated it with two applications of Kurust then two coats of grey lorry chassis primer then two coats of lorry chassis semi gloss black paint, it is as good as the day I did it still.

Perhaps if you could find a commercial vehicle repair shop they might be able to help with lorry chassis paints? Syd

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Thank you for your thoughts, I have to say I'd rather not use Hammerite as many reviews seem to find it rather lacking, also many say it's not as good as it used to be. As far as I can see, it originally just had black paint probably full of lead etc but nothing fancy and that was still good in many places after 80 years of bad treatment.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Hammerite is another product that has fallen foul of (or benefited from, depending on your point of view) EU legislation.
Since 2007 paints have had to meet minimum 'Volatile Organic Compounds' (VOC's) levels. Prior to this date Hammerite was formulated with Xylene with Trichlorethylene being a suitable thinners. Nowadays it's white spirit based and as many users have found, doesn't seem as robust or long lasting.

I have outdoor ironwork painted with Hammerite more than thirty years ago still showing no sign of deterioration whereas some recently treated items seem very susceptible to impact damage with poor surface adhesion.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

So, it's not just a conspiracy theory, it really isn't as good as it used to be.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

It's a shame they won't let me on board ship with tins of paint, as I'm in Gib a fortnight on Saturday and could have brought you some synthetic black and a can of Xylene thinners!!!!!

N.
Normal for Norfolk

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

On second thoughts, I could hide it in the suitcase................................
Normal for Norfolk

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hi, that's funny most people smuggle things out of Gibraltar not in to it. Seriously though thanks for the offer but don't go to any trouble I'm sure I can work something out. Are you on holiday or working here?

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I used the products from Rustbuster to do my SP chassis. They were very helpful over the phone, 01775 761 222, they advertise in a lot of the classic press. The stuff was easy to use and Seemed top quality when the job was done. I won't hesitate in using them again when I do my AC chassis in the winter.
Another product that seems to be popular at the moment and it is used in the industry is UPOL. I have tried the rattle cans that I have got from autojumbles on a few small bits and pieces and it looks fine.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Must be something in the shipyards there for painting ships. That should do for a chassis?
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.