Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

MOT exemption

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

MOT exemption

Post by Phillmore »

I've just been reading about the 40 year rolling exemption for MOTs in Practical Classics which is turning out to be rather controversial. I seem to remember that when I asked my local MOT tester at the time whether he was still going to MOT classics he told me it wouldn't be possible because the exempt vehicles wouldn't be on the system so it would be impossible to log on. Is this still the case because Practical Classics say you can still get them MOTd?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: MOT exemption

Post by Christopher Storey »

The exempt vehicles have certainly remained on the system up to now, and I know of several which have continued to be tested . The only problem that I foresee will be with cars that have been lost to the system for decades ( usually those not taxed since 1979 ).

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

I get my 1937 Daimler 15 Sports Saloon MOT'd every year - the details of the car are on line in the system.
Best wishes, Dave B

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I must have been given duff information or got the wrong end of the stick then? Thanks for clearing that up.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Andy

Like Dave I've continued to have my 1954/55 Century MoT'd annually; it has an unbroken MoT record for many years. It seems to be a no-brainer to me in order to avoid insurance complications in the event of future misfortune. It might also be helpful, should it ever come to be sold, as part evidence of rigorous maintenance over the years; perhaps it will become routine that older cars with MoT history will be preferred by those wishing to buy? If not it should - imho.

Cheers

Geoff

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I agree that it's a good idea to have your old car MOT'd, but how many of you are worried about the knowledge of the tester and how considerate he will be with a car that has peculiarities and standards that are very different from those of modern cars?

I once mentioned that my car had a racing handbrake, but when I returned to collect the car, it was broken. He didn't charge me for a failed test. He must have pulled it really hard while holding the button.

How many of you have a chat to the tester before he starts the test? I feel uncomfortable doing that as I might upset him by telling him how to do his job.

There are fewer and fewer testers now that have hands-on knowledge of old cars.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Not so sure about this but it will make life easier,

Young testers love to see my cars come in but they have not a clue what they are supposed to do with them.

I always stay with mine, drive them on and off the test rollers and do the brake test. I have all sorts of problems over the past few years, culminating in a refusal to test because he could not read the chassis number on a car he/they had tested at least twice before.

I posted an article from the past here recently where the chap was given a hefty penalty for putting vegetable oil in his brake system, the mind boggles at the prospect of folks like that buying and driving 40 year old cars.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I appreciate all these concerns, my comments were the result of having had the good fortune to have access to enlightened local motor engineers and MoT testers who have insight into and appreciation of older cars and the applicable rules etc. The local historic car scene is quite healthy so the garages see a fair number of different machines. My cars have been MoTd by the same individuals for many years, so much so that I'd completely forgotten how problematic it can sometimes be.

Cheers

Geoff

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I must admit I don't get the Daimler tested (unlike the Rover), but always have a "safety check and report" when it goes in for the annual oil changes.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Geoff, so your MOTs are officially carried out on the VOSA website with printout rather than the garage performing a standard test without logging on to the computer?
Andy