Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Speed Limits

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Speed Limits

Post by theoldman »

Can somebody please explain why our speed limits go up and down in level 10s?

Looking sur la continent I see they have a little more imagination and have multiples of 5 in may cases, ie (kph) 45, 75, 95 have been spotted by me in Portugal.

Is it that all our speed limit people are dyed in the wool, have a stock of 1 million "0"s to get rid of or just unimaginative?

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Speed Limits

Post by A.N.Other »

It does seem strange when one considers the Dickensian mentality of the road traffic authorities. One would of thought that they may consider rounding up in dozens.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

theoldman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:37 pm Can somebody please explain why our speed limits go up and down in level 10s?

Neil
It could be because speedometers usually show numbers ending in 0. It can take more than a quick glance to tell whether the needle is at 45 when the nearest numbers are 30 and 50.

1949startinghandle

Post by 1949startinghandle »

I am surprised that we don't have them going up in dozens or even sevens, just to be awkward. If we tried to be more European we could covert exactly to KM/H with really confusing numbers, decimal places and even fractions.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Neil, the law requires speedometers to be marked at intervals of 10mph. I remember reading somewhere that it was judged that motorists would not be able to discern intermediate limits and so speed limits were set to match the speedometer intervals.
Most European speed limits (France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Scandinavian countries) that I know of also change by 10kmh intervals, i.e. 30kmh (18mph) in town centres.