Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Drivers as "cash cows"

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Drivers as "cash cows"

Post by Db n j »

I saw a headline in the paper saying that UK drivers are being milked for £1billion per year for offences like speeding, jumping traffic
lights, using bus lanes etc..

and I think I have found the way to avoid paying..

Saw a car in a carpark today without a front number-plate (and no sign of a bracket or fixing point)

Out of curiousity I had a look at the rear, and yes there was a plate.

In addition, above the plate on the bumper was a piece of sticky plastic, embedded with what looked like mini-cats-eyes.

My conclusion : the owner had removed the front plate, and added a "cheat" device to the rear to defeat camera and number-plate
recognition systems.

I suspect that most drivers exceed the speed limit sometimes, or wandering into a bus lane, but we do so knowing the consequence of our actions if we get caught. I am not so happy driving on the UK roads knowing that someone has the mindset that they can break the law without fear of detection, ie that they go to all that trouble for a reason - ie they intend to break the law, and dont want to get caught.

What do you think ?

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Drivers as "cash cows"

Post by A.N.Other »

I can believe that drivers are being milked for £1billion a year.
The system is set up to catch out drivers that make a mistake, the very people that generally drive within the law. They are the people that pay up for an easy life.
The people who intend to break the law are usually the ones that don't have to pay because the system is not set up to catch them.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

With number plate recognition systems having an effect, folks who deliberately flout the law are more likely to be caught. With insurance and MOT offences triggering Police car systems, its either an idiot or a crook who takes a chance these days. Judging by our local paper there are plenty of them about.

As far as speed is concerned, it is a daily event to be bullied by boy racers and tailgaters who feel they have a right to exceed speed limits.

One lad I know has had twelve offences for speeding in the past ten years. Two for over 100 on a motorway, one for 70 in a 30 zone and one for towing a trailer at 70 on an A road. It has cost him best part of £1,500 in fines alone and he has been banned twice. Yet he still has not been tamed, his latest car he boasts will do 120 on a local stretch of "A" road, how does he get insurance and what does it cost him???

I am happy for him and his like minded buddies to be paying heavily towards Policing costs, but I would rather pay a bit more to get him and his sort off the road.

faeton

Post by faeton »

We had a van drive in our boatyard a while back ,a distinctive van had spotlights across cross the front of the roof ; the driver and his assistants proceeded to roll a large drum of valuable cable into the back and drove off . when we played the cctv back the number plates had been covered with masking tape . A couple of days later I spotted the same van, same people that were on cctv . hacking down trees which they left in the road after charging an old chap to remove, I photographed the van and the occupant [same people as on cctv ] had the number plate uncovered , With this evidence I went to the local plod , No action can be taken they said as they would have to be caught red hand , I am applying for membership of the travelling community as they seem immune from prosecution . Dave

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Criminals could contribute much more than fines to local authorities or government.

I've been watching "Police interceptors" and often the police say that a vehicle will be crushed if a fine isn't paid within fourteen days. Lots of cars are modern supercars worth £50k to £100k. What a waste. Why aren't these valuable seized assets re-registered and checked out mechanically and sold for the benefit of the local police force? Or put on police stickers and add to the police fleet. I'm sure they would like to drive a Ferrari or Lambo.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

From what I can gather vehicles that are seized can be reclaimed by paying £200 plus £20 a day storage up to 14 days after the offence. If the owner does not cough up by day 14, the Police can and do "Dispose" of the vehicle, I guess that means they don't have to crush it.

Rural and small town Police do not have recovery teams, they employ commercial operators who keeps the vehicle in a secure compound until it is either reclaimed or "disposed" of and the law breaker has to repay their costs before they get it back.

I guess that means the majority of expensive metal is reclaimed.

I was just thinking what do they do with a loaded 44 tonner with no insurance?

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I sailed close to the wind myself recently. I had a letter from the Motor Insurance Bureau saying my Conquest wasn't insured! I have three Conquests and two are insured with Lancaster. I had inadvertently re insured the one I am working on in the garage and let the one I'm driving lapse which I have been driving uninsured for the past two months!! As they are all black maybe I should have just swapped the plates ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

faeton

Post by faeton »

Most untaxed vehicles that are seized and not reclaimed are sold on a weekly auction site, there are several sites around the country All run by John Pye Auctions , Worth following as sometimes a good one appears . Dave