Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Modern Classics

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Modern Classics

Post by Phillmore »

How many people on the forum run a modern classic as well as a traditional classic? I'm not sure of the precise definition of a MC but in my eyes it is a pre injection, pre CAT and pre ECU car. My personal one is a 1991 Toyota Carina 2 which ticks all of the above.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Rolf B.

Re: Modern Classics

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Andy,

beside my classics as for example the early 1933 Daimler 15 Sports Coupé with bodywork by Mulliners of B'ham there are as modern classics, outside of your definition, a 1994 Daimler Double Six 6.0 litre (XJ 81) and a 1976 Jaguar XJ-S V12 pre HE Coupé manual gear box in my garage. The Double Six with fuel injection, ECU and CAT and the XJ-S with fuel injection and ECU. My 1973 E-Type V12 FHC is fitted with carbs but with electronic ignition too. In my opinion it's really difficult to draw the line at classics and modern classics relating to technical components instead of construction period.

Rolf B.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes I agree Rolf, my criteria are just that, based on the desire to be able to fix at the roadside when you have to get out and get under. I believe the old definition was twenty five years but I think that is arbitrary. To misquote Descartes - I think it's a classic therefore it is ;)
Last edited by Phillmore on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Here "out East" we have a local all make club entitled "Future Classics" , the membership of which comprises mainly 1990s/2000s models which they THINK might become classics in the future.

Unique idea!!
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Brother says they class anything that has a club of 15 members as a classic now, which seems age does not matter anymore so the world has gone mad yet again.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Think I'll get my missus to form the "Norfolk Toyota Aygo Club" then Peter..................... :D :D :D :D :D
Normal for Norfolk

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

In the "Good Old Days" you knew where you stood with categories of cars clearly defined. 'Veteran' was any car produced before 1919 and 'Vintage' was any car produced between 1919 and 1930. While there were certainly some magnificent cars produced in both periods, there were some really awful ones too. If anything there were more 'adequate' cars produced after 1930 than before and the term 'Post Vintage Thoroughbred' started being used, initially for cars built from 1930 to roughly 1950. This categorisation was more exclusive in that it didn't include just any car from the period but was initially limited to cars that were considered 'better than the rest' and produced only in small numbers. This very imprecise definition tended to exclude some cars that, although produced in large numbers had a significant sporting heritage and racing success, one example being MG.

It was this over-specific but also very woolly definition that led to the use of the term 'Classic' to embrace 'exceptional' cars produced in the 1950/60's. One man's 'exceptional' car being another man's 'rubbish' this term gradually became more and more inclusive to the point where it's now used to describe practically any car not in current production.
The most practical definition of a modern Classic is probably any model that has passed the point of maximum depreciation and whose value has started to rise again.

With the current interest in cars as an investment and the consequnt pricing of established Classics out of the reach of many, predicting which recent or even new cars will eventually appreciate has become important.

As the first car of the modern era to feature the now popular folding hardtop, my 2002 Mercedes SLK320 may well make a valid claim to future Classic status, but I'm not holding my breath - they made an awful lot of them and they last surprisingly well.
IMGP0897-001.JPG
On the other hand, there are cars whose very name carries so much cachet that future classic status is almost guaranteed, regrettably this one probably won't be in my lifetime...
P1280414.JPG
:D ;)
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

When you go to any show there's someone directing classic cars to a separate car park. I often wonder how they make a decision with just a quick glance as they probably aren't classic car enthusiasts. They will be working at a show for something completely different the next week.

If you look at the classic car park, you see that it has a lot of 1950s and 1960s standard production cars. Austin Allegros, Standard Vanguards, Ford Anglias and so on. You also see more modern cars like 1990s Lamborghinis, so I suppose it depends on the drivers who barge into the classic car park if they think it applies to them.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Not wishing to be pedantic John but the Allegro was 70s ;)
Andy

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I will answer your initial post questions in reverse order if I can.
My personal criteria for a modern classic are :- Desirability, by that I mean that it is attractive on the eye and most people would buy one if situations allowed. Rarity due to low production as a posed to poor quality. Quality as in that it has one or more outstanding feature such as the first to, the fastest, the best at, etc, etc, etc.
I think most would class a cherished car under the classic umbrella as well. Weather that be the first car owned, one my Mum had, one I learnt to drive in, or one that you went courting in. Maybe all of the above.
I run two cars that I believe to be modern classics, a Honda S2000 which I consider to be a modern day equivalent of the SP 250. A good all rounder that is just as happy doing the supermarket run as it is touring Europe. A capable mile cruncher on motorways and a joy on the B roads. Placid around town yet powerful enough to steer with the throttle when the fancy takes you. I also have a Mazda MX5 mk1 which I use for track days and jaunts around the village. Peanuts to buy and run but unbelievably reliable. It's not fast but it never fails to bring a smile to my face. Both are everything you could ask of a modern classic.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !