Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Mystery spanner size

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Mystery spanner size

Post by New Dexter »

I have some adjusters on a brake that are causing some frustration. I have tried 12 and 13mm spanners and one is too big, the other too small. Same applied to 7/16th and 1/2" AF. Then I dug out some BSW/BSF spanners and had the same result.
Is there a spanner size I am missing? It might require me to weld some nuts on to the adjusters. I should add that these "strange" adjusters have a hexagon head.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Mystery spanner size

Post by Ian Slade »

What brakes , what car, year, there was a brake adjuster spanner made in the 50's and 60's possibly earlier, a square ring spanner, I have no idea whether it was a special size as it fitted the brakes double ended two different sizes I think, though one side was cranked so possibly both were the same size
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

These are all the sizes, 1st figure is measurement across flats in inches, 2nd figure is wrench size:

0.394 10mm
0.412 0BA
0.433 11mm
0.437 7/16 AF
0.445 1/4BSF & 3/16WW
0.472 12mm
0.5 1/2 AF
0.512 13mm
0.525 5/16BSF & 1/4WW
0.551 14mm

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Easiest way round this one, Dexter is to acquire one of those sockets with the "pins" inside which will fit around anything.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ETC-120A-Univ ... 1797808776

I've a couple (one small, one larger) and they are really useful, (especially on rounded nuts!!

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you for your replies and especially the information on spanner sizes and the link to that interesting socket. I think I might invest in one of those.
The vehicle is a 1972, LWB Land Rover station wagon. It has twin leading shoe front brakes, each with its own snail cam. I have managed to weld a 17mm AF nut on to the front adjuster, which was extremely stiff and without any form of spanner was a s*d to move. Having a bigger nut meant I could use a conventional spanner. Drum came off with a little wiggling. However, I would rather make a proper job of this alteration and either machine the original heads to take a spanner or weld something on to the adjuster pin's head that will be more permanent.
It's a Girling brake, used by many vehicles of that era but although the snail cam pins will rotate I cannot "persuade" the pin to release the snail cam. I am using a decent punch. There is the slightest hint of a spline on the shaft.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Well, in the end I took the plunge, grabbed a "Birmingham Screwdriver" , drilled out the centre of each pin and took off all four adjusters. There are kits which are available readily, it's just a nuisance that tomorrow is a holiday.
While I was stripping out the adjusters I notice that the lining on the shoes was chamfered to the outside of the drum on one side so that will be a skim next week. In addition all the pistons were stuck in the cylinders and when removed revealed corrosion in places. Time for new cylinders as well. Bother.

Dobbinridesagain
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Dobbinridesagain »

The adjusters are an AF size, iirc. Trouble is, muppets use wrong-size spanners on them and as the hex is poor quality it rounds off.
Probably you will find that the same muppets have been adjusting the hub nuts with a chisel.
Some adjuster kits are pretty poor. Best quality parts come from Dunsfold.
If you have old brake shoes they are flat at one end to provide something against which to lever when fighting the pull-off springs. There are pattern parts where both ends are curved, and they are an absolute bu**er to fit.
The way to avoid cylinder corrosion is to change the brake fluid every two years. Simple enough and should be done with all cars.

Ivor

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Not wishing to sound like a bodger but with some judicious use of some solvol autosol (or similar metal polish) and new seals, slightly corroded pistons can be rejuvenated and last for years. Ivor's advice about renewing fluid regularly will avoid the moisture that causes the corrosion in the first place.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

The cylinders are available still. Prices from £9 odd and upwards. The ones for the 11" brakes fitted to the stage 1 V8 and the 6 cylinder vehicles are 1 1/8" bore and vehicle specific. I might be able to buy some tomorrow unless the place has adopted the usual British practice of shutting down early for the holiday and refuses to open on a Saturday.
I could, as an alternative, try honing the bores of the cylinders as I have a new seal kit. Lots of WD40 as lubricant and some patience might just be sufficient to provide a good result.