Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Post by Sydsmith »

As I read it correctly, the exemption form V112 asks in what category of exemption you are claiming exemption.

In the case of an SP250 there does not appear to be any other category to claim exemption than VHI.

So if you are of the opinion that R&P steering is a safety mod, you simply put VHI in the box sign the form and apply.

At that point, if you have R&P steering, are you vulnerable to the argument that the change is not for one of the reasons allowed, for example safety?

Is there anything in all the blurb which says that a modification must be verified as qualifying under the changes by anyone other than the owner or the person claiming exemption from MOT? If there is I cannot see it.

Who do you ask to verify your decision and at what point does the owners opinion become invalid?

Are we really saying DVLA will have a data base of all permitted and none permitted modifications on all the VHI vehicles, which they will share with the Police.

In the case of the SP250, as we have seen from this discussion, there are many opinions, some are very clear that R&P is a safety improvement whilst others strongly disagree. Not withstanding the option to MOT any way, who do we turn to for a properly qualified definitive answer?

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Further to my last post, if you claim MOT exemption but the DVLA disagrees, you just have to get an MOT test. But that's a cop-out. I assume that disagreement with the DVLA can only be sorted out in a law court, but that would mean each side getting experts to back their case.

As it happens, I don't have R&P and claimed MOT exemption successfully over a year ago, so my questions are just for general interest. However, if I have to claim exemption afresh every year, there might be a time when the DVLA refuses me exemption.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

So, to put this one to bed you do NOT need form V112 to claim MOT exemption.

The MOT on my Interceptor expired on 15th May. The tax expires on 31st May.

On 19th May I tried to renew the tax to see what would happen. The online renewal system said the car needed an MOT. I clicked "continue" to allow the check to proceed and the system returned there was no valid MOT and the application was cancelled.

Today, 23rd May I thought I'd try again. It was always my understanding that MOT exemption declaration would be self-declared at the point of renewing the tax.

I went into the online system. It still said an MOT was needed. When I clicked continue the online system had changed. There was a message that the DVLA records detected the car was made more than 40 years ago and may be eligible for MOT exemption. There were 2 boxes on the screen, one where I could declare there were no modifications and claim exemption and the other I didn't read properly but I think said it had been modified and needed an MOT. I selected the no modifications option and clicked on Continue and on the next screen my car was immediately taxed for the next 12 months.

Job done.

Quite simply, if your car now qualifies for MOT exemption and you wish to tax the car and claim exemption you simply tax it as usual on the DVLA website from the V11 reminder and simply claim the exemption during that process. You will need to claim the exemption on each and every occasion that the car is taxed. That's all that is necessary.

The roadworthiness or otherwise of your car and how you may choose to ensure that roadworthiness is now entirely your responsibility. However, if you do submit the car for a proper MOT (as opposed to some kind of "MOT check") and it fails then it will be recorded as failed and you cannot use the car until it has passed or you claim exemption at the next tax renewal.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Thanks Chris that's a great help. Syd