Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Post by Phillmore »

Remember this is purely a self-certification exercise. There are no plans in place for DVLA to inspect vehicles.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

There is also the fact that many old cars have been modified by previous owners and the current owner may be unaware. Lots of modifications are hidden and the current owner will make a declaration for exemption in good faith.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

This all seems like more Red Tape for no good reason to me, I though that after we all voted for Brexit, all of this nonsense would stop, how wrong can one be !!!!
Far beit for me to suggest that all you SP250 Bods were all Dodgy , well I don't know though,...Ha,Ha !!

Cheers A'l :D :D :D

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

JT7196 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:14 pm I thought that after we all voted for Brexit, all of this nonsense would stop, how wrong can one be !!!!
Interestingly, in the consultation 44% were in favour of the MOT exemptions proposed by the Government, 56% opposed the proposals. A bigger difference than the Brexit result.
The Government ignored the majority opinion and went ahead anyway.
When it suits them........

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi having very recently both “ Taxed” & Insured my Yamaha, am I Right in presuming, that I will not have to notify DVLA re the new MOT exemption law due to be implemented next May ???

Cheers A’l :D

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

JT7196 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:31 pm Hi having very recently both “ Taxed” & Insured my Yamaha, am I Right in presuming, that I will not have to notify DVLA re the new MOT exemption law due to be implemented next May ???

Cheers A’l :D
No, the DVLA will know about the new MOT law.

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

I'm just wondering how owners of MOT exempt vehicles will fare if they decide to take their vehicles across to mainland Europe.

I imagine that from May this year the UK will be at a major variance with other EU countries' MOT/Control Technique/Whatever. Its one thing to differ on the detail or the period between tests but at least, currently, there is a test.

Removing the requirement for a test in the UK means that inevitably some owners, who dispense with an MOT test, will take their UK exempted classic abroad. Are they then committing an offence as soon as they drive abroad?

I can see the situation being unclear and unsatisfactory even before Brexit so heaven knows what complexity will arise after the UK leaves the EU.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

As I understood it, this was an EU directive in the first place so I don't see any problem with travelling in Europe.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Seems to me that the range of cars this club/forum covers are not the sort of vehicles that are the target of this legislation.

I guess it is the Mexico's and boy racer type vehicles that have been substantially modified and that could affect the safety on the road they are after.

For my part I don't have a clue when my SP was fitted with R&P steering, it was fitted when I got the car and there is no certain way of knowing when it was done.

Never the less I shall be declaring my car exempt on the grounds that without the slightest doubt the steering arrangement now has improved the safety of the car, having removed that original lethal rigid steering column set up. I dread to think what would happen in a head on with that solid steering column which extends to just inside the front body work.

Though there are other benefits, I cannot see how any reasonable person could argue that the R&P mod did not improve the safety of the car.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Sydsmith wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 am Though there are other benefits, I cannot see how any reasonable person could argue that the R&P mod did not improve the safety of the car.
I agree Syd, but as with any vehicle modification affecting safety there are two separate factors to be considered. Firstly is the conversion sound in principle and secondly has it been implemented in accordance with 'best practise'?

In the case of an SP R&P conversion there is no single solution. Conversions have been made using a variety of hardware and installation geometries. While all can be considered as a safety improvement in principle, some can be considered safer than others. Conversions retaining the the original cooling fan must inevitably lead to an increase in bump steer. Most conversions that require the removal of the fan result in a degradation of the correct steering geometry. All R&P conversions require modifications to the structure of the car in order to mount and secure the rack and column and a valid concern must be that these changes are implemented with adequate strength, rigidity and security. I've seen conversions on cars - not necessarily SP's - that are significantly less safe than the system they replaced.

The new legislation effectively asks the vehicle owner to state that both the principle and execution of the modification achieve an improvement in safety. As you say Syd, it would be unreasonable to deny the former; to accept the latter without independent verification may not be as incontrovertible.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".