Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

External Rear View Mirror

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: External Rear View Mirror

Post by JT7196 »

Hi. as I said, I intend to affix it to the window itself, well in the winter ❄️ anyway, but probably not in the summer, as I will have the choice of either the window or on the door skin itself.
Not sure about needing to apply Varnish, presumably around the circumference of the Suction Pad, using Vaseline may be a better option, provided of course, it dosnt cause the Mirror to slide down !!

Cheers A’l :D

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

You could approach the subject from a different angle with a little lateral thinking!

Rear view mirrors as such were "invented" by the first lady racing driver Dorothy Levit around 1907 who held a mirror aloft to see what was behind. Manufacture of rear view mirrors started on a commercial scale in 1914.

I would argue therefore that it is perfectly accetable to fit a proper period mirror to any old car - even more so given modern-day traffic conditions.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I've often thought it strange that wing mirrors weren't standard on Conquests although most of mine have been retro fitted at some time.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Stan,my reason for using this type of Mirror was so that I didn’t have to drill any
holes in the body to fit a Resr. Vew Mirror ! !

Cheers A’l :) :D

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I have the benefit of a quarter light on the V8 Al so the mod can stay o at all times of the year :-)

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

I shall road test it this afternoon on my MG ,perhaps tie a piece of string to it just in case John’s phroficy that it is bound to fall off comes true !!

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

JT7196 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 pm I shall road test it this afternoon on my MG ,perhaps tie a piece of string to it just in case John’s phroficy that it is bound to fall off comes true !!

It won't fall off while you are waiting for it to do it, it will fall off at a very inconvenient moment on a busy main road in high wind and rain. :(

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, didn’t yet the chance to “ Road test” my new Mirror today ,but, hopefully will try it out tomorrow, judging by this evenings weather forecast, should provide a good test ! !

Ps, Anybody got a nice piece of strong string!! 😂