Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

External Rear View Mirror

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

External Rear View Mirror

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, if your anything like me , you have probably anquished as to how and whether to fix an external Door Mirror to the Drivers side of your beloved motor car. Driving in modern traffic does create nervousnous about overtaking vehicles with only the original Interior Mirror fitted.
Well whilst trawling through eBay I did find several types mostly the ones with a Clamp holding it in position with a couple of Grub Screws, I had to discount this type owing to the Door Gap being quite tight.
I then had one of those moments of “pure genius” I like a lot of modern drivers, have a Dash Cam that I transfer from one car the another,which is Suction mounted
and this got me thinking, was it possible to find a Rear View Mirror that I could use instead of the previous mentioned ones??
Well, the answer was a definite “Yes” , and below you will see what I found at a very reasonable price .
I did have to slightly adjust the Angle of the Clamp the allow the Mirror to be angled in slightly more , but it does work very well, with the added bonus, of being easily removable if and when required.
The only drawback of course is not being able to open the window the full way down, unless like my car, there is a sufficienty large area to be able to mount it on the Door itself ,but still of course using the Suction device.
D05C7BCC-2872-4E9E-94F5-BBEC470D411F.jpeg
FC16E8DB-0E52-4E38-8CCA-993B9E86A26B.jpeg
DA05D960-E079-4D6B-89F3-C412930E5370.jpeg
16CEF521-5977-46A3-8685-DCB6461D7AF3.jpeg
Best wishes A’l :D :D

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: External Rear View Mirror

Post by simonp »

That looks perfect! I guess in the old days you would have had one screwed into the pillar with some sort of bracket similar to the screen mounted spotlights that you can still buy.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

It will fall off, mark my words. brake hard and look for a hundred pieces!

I thought you were going to come up with a clever solution to have the dashcam facing backwards with some sort of mirror to look at it.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

JT7196 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:39 pm Hi Chaps, if your anything like me , you have probably anquished as to how and whether to fix an external Door Mirror to the Drivers side of your beloved motor car. Driving in modern traffic does create nervousnous about overtaking vehicles with only the original Interior Mirror fitted.
Well whilst trawling through eBay I did find several types mostly the ones with a Clamp holding it in position with a couple of Grub Screws, I had to discount this type owing to the Door Gap being quite tight.
I then had one of those moments of “pure genius” I like a lot of modern drivers, have a Dash Cam that I transfer from one car the another,which is Suction mounted
and this got me thinking, was it possible to find a Rear View Mirror that I could use instead of the previous mentioned ones??
Well, the answer was a definite “Yes” , and below you will see what I found at a very reasonable price of £9:95 inc P&P !!
I did have to slightly adjust the Angle of the Clamp the allow the Mirror to be angled in slightly more , but it does work very well, with the added bonus, of being easily removable if and when required.
The only drawback of course is not being able to open the window the full way down, unless like my car, there is a sufficienty large area to be able to mount it on the Door itself ,but still of course using the Suction device.

D05C7BCC-2872-4E9E-94F5-BBEC470D411F.jpeg

FC16E8DB-0E52-4E38-8CCA-993B9E86A26B.jpeg

DA05D960-E079-4D6B-89F3-C412930E5370.jpeg

16CEF521-5977-46A3-8685-DCB6461D7AF3.jpeg

Best wishes A’l :D :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

O’h Ye. With little faith :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :x

Cheers A’l :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Not had time or weather for that matter to “Road Test” it yet John , it only came this morning, and anyhouse, if you were to drive “Carefully “ like wot Big Bad A’l does , you wouldn’t have to Brake hard !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers A’l :) :)

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Seriously, use Vaseline or even a glue or something to get a good suction. I've had interior mirrors that have stuck on for years, but they haven't had wind and rain to affect them.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Good idea but I would want to take it off and put in car every time I went to a show or wherever

Dennis

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

I agree, but it only takes seconds..... :D

Cheers Al :D

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

When I was a car radio fitter back in the early 60's we drilled holes in many brand new cars, we used to drill a quarter inch hole in the wing then open it our with a three quarter tank cutter. The garage boys used to dodge fitting radios and pass them to us some times even before they were registered, did many Jags and a few Daimlers, loads of Austins from A35 to A99 and all the Fords.

BUTTTTT don't ask me to fit wing mirrors to my beloveds now, cant face drilling those holes.

Cant wait to try your idea on the V8 250 Al.

Perhaps a bit of clear varnish would tie it in if need be. Syd