Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fluid Fly wheel

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
B RAMANNA

Fluid Fly wheel

Post by B RAMANNA »

I cannot find SAE30 mono grade oil in Bangalore. So I used semi Synthetic 5W 30 oil in fly wheel assuming it should work. The car starts. Engine does not go off. When Ist gear is engaged and the car moves. However car does not move when changed to 2nd and and other gears. The engine does not go off but there is no power to the wheels. All looks OK when one wheel is jacked up, and all the gears work and the RPM of the wheel changes as the gear is changed. Do you think the flywheel oil is the problem? The viscosity of SAE30 is listed as 97 should I look for similar viscosity oil? :(

captain bobo

Re: Fluid Fly wheel

Post by captain bobo »

I must stress that I am not an expert. I know a couple of users who have put 20/50 multigrade synthetic in the fluid flywheel without problems. I suspect that if it works in one gear it should work in all gears, so perhaps the issue is with the pre-selector gearbox.

To help you we probably need more information, such as: before you changed the oil did the system work correctly? Did you make any other changes at the time of replacing the flywheel oil?

Perhaps other more knowledgeable forum members can offer you an insight?
Best wishes, Dave B

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I think, Ramanna, that this is a selector adjustment problem and nothing to do with the flywheel.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

If you go to
www.db18.org
and then to the Document Store page, scroll down the Repairs Documents list and you will find a "Fluid Flywheel and Epicyclic Gearbox Manual" which will help you with the adjustments.

While you are on the website, you may want to complete the short "Sign up" form. I will then be able to put you in touch with another member in India who also has a Consort.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

With the greatest respect, you have this question running on two threads now and the answers to your questions keeps coming back to the WRONG oil. I am no expert on these gearboxes and fluid flywheels but I have a car with one and I do know the from many many postings and discussions on both this and the old forum in the past, that if you start with the WRONG oil in these units you WILL have problems.

You need SAE30 nothing else will do to be sure, some how or other you need to find some and it may well save you a huge amount of work and worry in the long run.

If you use the wrong oil and have problems, how will you know if you have a fault in the gearbox or flywheel or if the problem is only adjustment. It's like putting water in the hydraulic brakes, it will work but boy will you have problems. You may well strip out the gearbox and flywheel and find nothing wrong, because the problem is the wrong oil.

Change the oil to SAE30, no matter how difficult it is to get in India and start from there, only then will you know if the problem is oil based or mechanical, you have nothing to lose, if it turns out the right oil does not sort the problem or adjustment with the right oil does not work you drain it off and save it, remove the offending items and you know where you stand.
Best of luck with the problem. Syd

B RAMANNA

Post by B RAMANNA »

Thanks, very sensible answer.
Will try adjusting first if this does not work will change the oil as multigrade oils have been used by others.
Ramanna 8-)

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

It is a fact that Daimler recommended 30 grade oil for the flywheel.

However, when I bought my E20 I picked it up from Kent and drove it (faultlessly) back to East Anglia.

On subsequently checking both the flywheel and gearbox oil, I found that some bright spark had put ATF in both and on enquiry to the previous owner, was told this is the way it had run for TWO YEARS, so in retrospect, I think the oil grade argument is a bit of a mare's nest.

All the oil is doing is providing a liquid medium to enable the physics of the flywheel to work. It would still "work" with any liquid in it - but obviously it may not last long if you say, used Anti Freeze......................

If Ramanna, you can get one gear to work, but not the others, it's purely adjustment.

One thing extra to check is that the first bell crank, at the bottom of the selector column is fixed SECURELY to the column and cannot move from side to side, ie, has "slack" when the selector is moved. I have found this fault now on two DB18s and if so, you will never get the gears to adjust.
Cheers
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Some ATF comes up SAE34 JUST TO KEEP THE TOPIC GOING would hate for it to stop here, always creates the long topic now what tyres should i fit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Or as I was told when I changed my car and on the way home the low oil light came on and I didn't know what oil to put in it, "any oil is better than no oil"!

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"